Duct tape to the rescue in space, again

California,

Good point. Actors do seem to make better Presidents than lawyers. Or peanut farmers.

John

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:29:56 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

California,

I think Carter was OK, and his recent remarks about the current president, a failed oil company CEO, are right on.

I sort of like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Reagan was not bad either. I noticed in Bushman's (the current) inauguration, Jimmy was trying to go up to him, and shake hands to congratulate him, but the Bushman evaded him, after making the Hitler salute to the masses. What a sucker that Saudi marionet is. As to his credit: He did put oil up to 90$ for his Saudi masters. As not to his credit: it is partly because the dollar is now worth less then the cost of making it, I have heard they soon will print it on tissue paper, that, as you know, that dissolves in water really fast. Anyways rolls of dollars ... grin

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Charlie Edmondson snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org posted to sci.electronics.design:

No, Charlie. It is more nearly like a proxy fight between boards of different corporations. It has been a running joke for over 150 years that various legislative bodies were the "The best that money could buy".

Reply to
JosephKK

California,

Carter was a disaster; he convinced some people, specifically some radical islamists, that the US was gutless. There have been consequences.

I was in Moscow the day that Reagan won his first presidential election. All the Americans in the street outside the embassy were cheering, and the Russians thought we were nuts; they don't do stuff like that in public. We were tossing frisbees around, ditto.

Minutes after the news hit, the embassy had framed portraits of RR posted on the wall outside.

paper,

The dollar is still worth a dollar here. Prices haven't gone up, because we don't buy much from Europe. The low dollar will kill Airbus, if they weren't killing themselves already.

Oh, that reminds me, we should increase our European pricing again.

John

California,

paper,

The level to which you have been brain-washed is astonishing.

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:18:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes, RR portraits all over the world, I used to stay up late to listen to him speak (time difference).

paper,

Well, oil prices, I am sure you fill up your car, but let's say 'the cost of energy', and all products that require a lot of energy to make, will, and have, gone up. Bush bought the masses with a tax cut, but they payed X times that much anytime they filled up the car. Bush, with his oil price upping strategy, made of course billions for The Netherlands too (we export natural gas, and the price is locked to the oil price in the contracts), and that bought Russia too. And the UK (North Sea oil). Putin must have thought that Bush will be gone next year, so why longer support him, I EXPECT OIL PRICES TO DROP A LOT AFTER BUSHMAN IS REPLACED. Oil prices have been cyclic:

Now there is an opportunity to buy some puts. As to Airbus, some of their people are under investigation for insider trading.... But the first big one (A380) has been delivered now. And Boeing has setbacks of 6 month now (Dreamliner).. So if Boeing turns out to have more problems, the balance may change a lot. Airbus has a good line of products, I am not worried about them. US does not look so good, housing market collapsed, no credit, recent warning by FED that hard times will stay a while...

China, Japan, are withdrawing money in the billions, faster then ever before, for the first time more money (=dollars) being sold then being bought by them. This makes sense as they want no longer to finance the US debt, rather invest in say Euros. So expect some hard times coming.

Have you patented your designs? Copy cat we can do too :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

paper,

Is the price of gas correllated to the tax cut?

Experience is the worst teacher. China, India, Pakistan, Eastern Europe, Russia... all are going middle-class, and they all want cars. And all those cars want gas.

Driving to work, I saw a guy changing the gas price signs. Regular is up to $3.07 a gallon. So now it costs me 60 cents to drive to work. My morning latte costs $2.50.

The housing thing was just another speculative bubble. Those things happen. But "hard times" is an exaggeration.

They can't "withdraw money." All they can do is sell bonds.

What they were financing is Chinese imports. If they want to sell the bonds for less than they paid for them, we do even better.

Wishful thinking?

I just keep engineering better stuff, and keep ahead of people who can't. Patents aren't worth the trouble.

At least one european company has copied my stuff (and my company style, and my logo) but they did it badly.

John

Which one?

TheM

paper,

Hey, I did not see your posting on my normal news server, but I did see somebodies reply, so I found it on google, so here we go....

Price of gas 'correlated' to tax cut, no. I was saying Bush bought voters with a tax cut, but the voters pay him back many times because of the higher fuel prices. Also he has the taxpayer pay for the weapons to create the tensions to up that fuel price.

Your view of bonds is perhaps not complete, first lets look at the foreign investments:

You will see the treasury securities for China and Japan getting lower and lower. in the last few month. So if nobody buys US debt, you will not even have enough income to pay the INTEREST on the current outstanding debt. The US cannot react by increasing interest! This puts you at the level of a third world country, and has a snowball effect. There is a recent interesting thread in us.politics that includes China groups about this.

As to Boeing, the Dreamliner has as marketing argument low fuel consumption. When oil prices drop, that argument becomes less of an issue. By the time it finally appears on the market, Bush will be stepping down, and I expect oil prices to drop.

Your argument that the increased consumption of China and India etc will keep oil prices up, I do not 100% share. What perhaps could keep prices up is if Putin starts playing the same 'create middle east tensions' game that Bush did. And Putin has an interest in that, as an oil and natural gas exporter. But IF Putin plays the increase tensions game, than there is a big risk of a WW3, because of say an over-reaction by the US. If that happens bad times for everybody. Bush is n*ts enough to want to walk towards a scenario like that: more tax payer funded weapons sales...

Where will it go? Like I said recently: The price of bomb shelters will go up because of demand.

The 'little' guy like you and me have no influence over this, we found now: We are not at the center of the universe. We are not the only life form (likely). And, recently scientist showed we have no free will.

So what can we do? Well we can enjoy the interaction with the rest of the universe. Que sera sera

Reply to
panteltje

paper,

Fuel is a major airline cost, and air travel is exploding in China and India too. China is getting serious in building commercial aircraft. That's another reason that oil prices will stay up.

P&W has got their first order for geared turbofan engines, something they've been working on for 20 years, R&D about $1B so far. They figure they can increase fuel economy by 20%, roughly doubling airline profits. Of course, fare competition wouldn't let that happen.

Maybe transiently, but longterm the trend must be up.

That all sounds strained. The US, like a lot of the rest of the world, is post-industrialist: we can grow all the food, build all the housing, generate all the power, and provide all the baseline necessities for our populations with ease. The biggest "crisis" we are likely to see will be inconvenient, a cutback in luxuries. Carpooling, or eating less beef, or having to install cf lights [1] won't kill anybody. If the stock market lost half its value, well, so what?

I wonder what inspired that scientist to investigate that?

That makes sense. If you read the newspapers and watch CBS teevee news and prowl the blogs enough, you can become as angry or as depressed as you like. If you look around, in real life, you have all the tools and options that any sensible person needs to enjoy life.

No, we do have control.

John

[1] spiral cf lamps, in various wattages, are on sale at Discount Builders for 99 cents each. Laser levels are on sale at the checkout stand, $5.99, 2 for $10.

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:55:14 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

It is an old philosophical issue.

In my interpretation of this, the decisions we make are made in the subconscious first, and that subconscious is just a neural net with all past as weights and the present as inputs, hence the word 'interaction' I used.

Of course this will upset many, who hold dearly to "other" ideas. The Nobel (DNA) winner was removed from his post because he merely MENTIONED blacks were found to be less intelligent then whites. Science, politicalised, and falsified, as if we still live in the 1500 or

1600.... It may take some time for the real stuff to be accepted.

See above.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

subconscious first,

present

1600....

OK, deepest apologies. So let me restate:

I have control, and you don't.

John

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:58:48 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

subconscious first,

present

1600....

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

subconscious first,

present

1600....

Oh, there is Free Will. There is new information about Free Will here:

It's about Free Will.

If it's wrong, at least on my deathbed I won't have to say, "Damn, I wish I'd investigated..."

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:05:10 GMT) it happened Rich the Philosophizer wrote in :

ftp://panteltje.com/pub/freewill.gif

? LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sadly, you've got it exactly upside-down. The one in the picture is the one who wants to destroy Free Will.

Thanks, Rich

--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:32:06 GMT) it happened Rich the Philosophizer wrote in :

The medicine man in the tribe in the fourth world country dances and asks the rain-gods for the rain. When the rain comes, his will is done.

This is year 2007. We seed the clouds to produce rain, I have weather radar.

TheWhiteHouseLunatic kills and calls himself an instrument of God.

If anything is 'God' as in the sense of 'superior power', then it is that process that can happen inside you WHILE YOU ARE ALIVE. Meditate and learn about it.

The universe, will re-use your elementary particles after that, for for example fertiliser, some may even end up in electronics components.

The man in the picture is calling you, you will come. Que sera sera

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

process

I have.

God is our Father.

Free Will is our Mother.

Thanks, Rich

--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

Over that span leap seconds are inconsequential by comparison to other changes. If there were any way to collect on the bet, I'd wager that within 1000 years that calendrical system will be utterly moot. Planning system characteristics such that they'll work in 1000 years is a good practice; expecting that the system will still be in use by then is reaching too far.

Reply to
sla29970

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Hmmm. You may want to look at some of the longer lived calendar systems. See the Chinese calendar system for a very good example.

Reply to
JosephKK