Duct tape to the rescue in space, again

No. Older IBM PCS went back to 1/1/80 on 1/1/2000, but they are a small part of the world of computers

And when 2038 rolls around, every Unix-based system in the world will have issues.

Ecnerwal

OK, what do you recommend as an independant US news source, unbiased,competant, sort of in between huffington post and faux news?

too many beer's G'nite....

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Nothing wrong happened in the election results to which you allude... the Electoral College method functioned exactly as prescribed by the Constitution.

...Jim Thompson

Not really. That bug has pretty much been fixed in most modern *nixes - date is now a 64 bit int. If programmers used time_t date then it's a non-issue.

If your system is current, you're good to GMT 15:30:08, Sunday, December

4, 292,277,026,596 C.E, not counting a few leap-seconds.
Reply to
CptDondo

And the heavily-weighted courts.

Reply to
Winfield

But it works. The USA, I mean.

What? Corporations have modest influence on elections, and don't endorse candidates. Unions are far more powerful, and do.

John

Only a leftist weenie would conclude that. Cite the data AND the court's ruling, and point out the (real) errors. THEN we can talk about it.

Why is it leftist weenies are such poor losers ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but you're merely a "Rightist Retard".

You claim everyone that disagrees with you is leftist.

I am not, but you go on being as stupid as ever, dipshit.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Referring to the 'Year 2000 problem' as the Y2K problem is the sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Great minds discuss ideas,
average minds discuss events,
small minds discuss people.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yeah, The Florida Supreme Court really messed up that one.

John

The world ends December 21, 2012 according to

If you can\'t beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
                                -- George Carlin
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

There are only two things one needs in life:

WD40 to make things go and duct tape to make them stop.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ "There's something vewy scwewy going on awound here." -- Elmer Fudd

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The way I heard it:

A big hammer when you want something to move, and an even bigger hammer when you don't.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

The 11th commandment is: Thou shalt not abbrev.

Acronyms and abbreviations have their place and their side effects. Just listen to the space station traffic. It's mostly acronyms. That works because everyone involved knows the meaning. Unfortunately, those not involved need a Star Trek universal translator and magic decoder ring to figure out what's being said. If you're involved with fixing the "Year 2000 problem", then abbreviating it to Y2K is perfectly acceptable. If you're a bystander and disinterested couch potato, it's a problem.

In my never humble opinion, it is impossible to implement a successful program or technology without a catchy acronym or buzzword. Even politicians are careful with acronyms after Nixon named his CREEP (committee to re-elect the president). The computer industry needed a catchy term for a fairly complicated computer problem and chose Y2K as the good general term that the GUM (great unwashed masses) could understand. Methinks that is far superior to something more accurate like the "computer system clock register overflow, ambiguity, and counter length problem". Yech.

The real problem is what happens when we run out of TLA's. There are only 17576 available (using only letters). Eventually, we're going to have a TLA shortage crisis.

As for understanding the Y2K hysteria, it didn't help that influential and allegedly knowledgeable experts were promoting such lines as "It's the risks, not the odds" and other forms of fear mongering. I tried to advise my customers with a low key test and replace policy, but they wanted an absolute assurance that civilization would not end on New Years Eve, and wouldn't take anything less than certainty for an answer. To be fair, I sold a large number of upgrades and replacements prior to New Years Eve, and often suspect that the dot com lunacy of the last 1990's was tied directly to the Y2K hysteria. It would have been financially expedient for me to promote the hysteria, but I'm disgustingly honest and a terrible actor. However, I'm sure that didn't stop others with an agenda from expanding the hysteria for personal gain.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The majority of the votes across the US, and, it was found in 2001, the majority of the votes all across FL. You're damn right the rest of us are pissed. Look what happened, eight years of the worst messes we've seen in this country. You should hang your head in shame. But no, in sheer idiocy, you crow like there's no tomorrow. Well, in fact there will be a tomorrow, when you and your mens et manus will be crowing out of the other side of your faces.

Reply to
Winfield

Hey, Jim.

Just driving through to see if you still are the opinionated, abrasive prick that I remembered.

You are. Some things, I guess, will never change.

Reply to
rex

On a sunny day (Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:29:29 GMT) it happened Richard The Dreaded Libertarian wrote in :

Tom Jimpson

I like Hillary.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:31:51 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Xcuse me, but that one makes no sense.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 17 Oct 2007 03:44:34 GMT) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Sure, and now it is 'green' electronics. The idea that somehow less power generation will cause less heating of the earth. In Europe, the ice from the ice age has been retracting for thousands of years, the ice was covering Europe all the way to Italy. And that process will keep going on, set by the wobbling of the earth, etc. Nothing to do with our CO2 or power consumption. But we all play the game, and recently laws seem to be made to make near loss-free AC adapters, TV sets with a real power switch (no standby), etc...

Call it the Gore-con, make money from fear. And they give you a Nobel for that.

Funny world.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:11:26 -0700) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

There is a big comet coming 2028 IIRC? Maybe we will go the way of the dinosaurs. Need to get to mars befiore that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje