DSO138 cheap O' scope

Does anyone here have any experience with the DSO138? I am thinking of sen ding one to my grand niece, who is 14 years old. But do not want to send h er anything that is frustrating to use. She is living in Alaska so I will not be able to help her in person.

Recommendations of related books and diy stuff from China would also be app reciated.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

ending one to my grand niece, who is 14 years old. But do not want to send her anything that is frustrating to use. She is living in Alaska so I wil l not be able to help her in person.

ppreciated.

Going from memory.... Some have the sm parts already soldered, some don't, the latter generates c omplaints from users. Surprisingly good scope for the price, can get jittery in some circumstance s that I don't remember.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

An old CRO is much more informative and educational.

And that a girl is interested in this is great. There are very few females who took to the field of electronics.

Reply to
jurb6006

I've run across a fair number over the years. Most today are on the software side but there aren't very many hardware engineers being minted anymore, either.

Reply to
krw

I built the DSP150, which I believe is newer. But it is still in the firmware update process, so maybe not as stable as the DSO138. I'm not sure I would recommend these kits for a 14 year old. Of course nominally they should be fine, but there are lots of opportunities for things to go wrong during construction, and if you aren't there, there may be no solution. JYE tries to help, but not always successfully. Based on the forum traffic, even experienced adults get things wrong fairly frequently, so the potential for frustration for a kid may be pretty high.

If you do get a kit, make sure it's one with the surface mount parts already installed.

Reply to
Peabody

On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:48:54 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" wrote in :

I have no experience with this specific thing, but I am very proud somebody took my single chip oscilloscope idea a bit further, the original idea was here:

then somebody did a watch size one IIRC, and now this. Even more interesting is, that they ran into problems. It is the trigger problem (jitter):
The PIC I am using has a hardware comparator, in software you have the clock domain skew...

And I looked up the specs, it has 1M samples / second, so audio only. Mine was much lower IIRC...

Then I started thinking, would I buy this just for fun? Nice display, the added attenuator, nice box... But.. what about a bit faster?

THESE days we have Raspberry Pi, I use 4kx9 fifos in my Raspberry based DVB-S transmitter:

to get around the task switch interrupts.. I still have 2 spare FIFOs, and an old 35 Msamples video ADC, Add those, and maybe an old what was it 710 comparator, to the Raspberry GPIO (a small board like perhaps this:
) fill the fifo with 4 k samples using the Pi programmable frequency output,

If that frequency (synthesizer) is not stable enough use some crystal and a counter, a 74F74 D flop for trigger state, and there you have a 35 Msamples sampling scope.

The rest is software on the Raspberry, ssh to anywhere in the world. Display via HDMI on any monitor. Maybe keyboard or touch screen control.

Thoughts did not stop there; when to Linear website looked up their 12 bits 320 Msamples ADC, hey under export control, shit, checked ebay for it, no... output to DDR RAM? what was it?

Hey John Larking make an add on for Raspberry and defeat Tek!!

Maybe or maybe not I will try the 35 Msamples thing with that fifo and the video ADC, make a veroboard for my raspi. The parts are here... Maybe raspberries waiting for it.

Hey, but give the kid that kit, nothing to lose, for that money they hardly ship an empty box here...

You will need: temperature controlled soldering iron, tweezers, then you are OK with those SMDs too, Magnifying glass, strong reading glasses...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I've got two.

Assembly of the kit with the surface mount already done is easier, but the one with only the CPU soldered comes with spares of each SMD part value, so lost parts aren't a show stopper.

It comes with english assembly instructions.

One of mine had with an intermittent inductor, the troubleshooting section of the instructions helped me locate that.

The BNC socket on one of mine fell apart, I have not found a replacement.

As a single channel audio-frequency oscilloscope it works fine, The 4 button user interface is a bit cumbersome. there's no X-Y mode or external trigger.

but it's only $20 .

these are good too

Jasen Betts

Sure, but he needs to get it to Alaska in working condition.

This one you can drop ship, to "happy birthday NAME" at no extra cost or re-mail fairly cheaply.

Jasen Betts

I suggest this one:

It is by the same company but has slightly better specs, a much nicer case, has all the smd's pre soldered and has had a recent review in silicon chip magazine where it did very well.

David Eather
093865.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts

Don't forget that you need a 9V power supply for it, which doesn't come with the kit.

Reply to
Peabody

Still not as good, especially for educational purposes. Pack it well and insure it for ten times what it is worth it will get there.

Reply to
jurb6006