DS1102E just orderd

From what I've read around the net people who have tested both models say they're 100% identical, save for the firmware limitation. Looks like it's just a marketing segmentation. The problem, though, is the new firmware of the 50 MHz model which isn't yet hacked.

For those interested, here are a couple entries on the subject at Dave Jones' blog, but beware that they refer to an older hackable firmware.

Reply to
asdf

Me too, so I paid 10x as much for this:

My scope is one of the few luxuries I afford myself. My personal electronics work is for pleasure, not business, so I don't try to get the cheapest thing that works, but rather what will be the most fun to use (and still within a reasonable budget).

Agilent was nice enough to give me three upgrade options for no cost because I am a good customer (when I buy for my business), so I have the full 4Mpts memory, and SPI and UART triggering and decoders.

Now I have to figure out what to do with my old Tek TDS3014.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

Thanks, Bill, but for me to pretend to be without fault would be a grave error, and I try not to do that TOO often.

The origins of Aussie and the similar style, but slightly different, China plugs are interesting.. and there is even an American connection:-

I think I've seen the NEMA 10-20 a zillion years ago in Canada on a

220V window AC unit.

(anyway, I'm not enamoured with the title of this thread.. so I'll change it, some readers may be able to keep up)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Spehro Pefhany"

** Drop dead - you posturing geriatric bullshit artist.
Reply to
Phil Allison

Bargain version:

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Truth hurts? And remove that piece of shit signature out of there.

No one cares about it, especially me and I'll just assume most others will agree. It does not make you look intelligent, so you can give up on that. And no, no one is following you around cloning your nick! who the hell would care?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

There wasn't a lot of truth in Phil Alison's original outburst, and his invective get more mechanical and repetitive as he goes on.

Pretty good privacy is actually splendid piece of software. I do understand how our right-wingers can exist without it - they lack the imagination to envisage situations where it would be useful..

Not at the moment. But all it takes is some lunatic getting into a position of power and you will need something like it in order to be able to smuggle to safety those of your friends who suddenly find themselves to be members of an undesired ethnic/religious/sexual minority.

As you so frequently do.

It makes him look tolerably intelligent to me - and Jamie's opinion on other people's intelligence isn't going to count for much, granting that he doesn't seem to have much of his own.

Maybe someone with better judgement than you? You shouldn't find it difficult to find somebody to ask.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Surely you can do better than *that* for a thread title change :-).

(Also considered: Spehro Pefhany may be a dirty so-and-so but he is a SAINT compared to Phil Allison! - alas, too long :-).

Reply to
Glen Walpert

I agree heartily!

Reply to
John S

Sorry for the delay. Just saw your message.

The model we bought was low bandwidth but well suited to the job it was purchased for. We were aligning an incremental encoder and needed to monitor the two sinewaves along with a digital index mark. Use the two analog channels for the sinewaves and one channel of the logic analyzer for the index pulse. Worked perfectly. Scope had presets that we could invoke the various testing modes very easily. First it was put into XY mode to show a Lissajous pattern (should be a circle) then to timebase mode displaying Sines and index pulse.

We were doing some serial bus protocol debugging and bought a tool from

USBee ZX. I haven't used it (used by our software group) but am told that it has formatted displays for all the common protocols like I2C, SPI, CAN... One of the encoders we buy from Heidenhain has a proprietary protocol called EnDat. I hung some RS-485 transceivers on the micro's spi port and our software group made it talk to the encoder.

Reply to
Oppie

Thanks!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Did it come in yet? Do you like it?

Reply to
John S

From what I saw today, $399 is now the "official" new price from Rigol North America. The DS1052E seems to have been dropped down to $329.

I ordered a DS1102E from Saelig last week (thanks for the heads-up, Jamie!). They were out of stock for a couple of days but shipped it on Friday.

I did check with them first, and asked whether these are "official" DS1102E units, or firmware-hacked DS1052E boxes. Saelig assured me they're factory-fresh official DS1102E.

I'm not sure why Rigol dropped the price so sharply and abruptly... possibly their sales were being undercut by the near-equivalent Atten model (also from China) which was already selling for around $400. The firmware hack may also have had an effect on sales?

A lot of people seem to like the DS1102E a lot... I'm hoping I will, too. It doesn't have a dual time base feature, but the long-capture feature may make up for much of this lacking... and having a simple FFT feature built in is a nice benefit.

Dave Platt

I'll give you $800 for it. :)

Reply to
JW

I've been told (by a guy using both) that the FFT in the DS1052E does not seem to behave the same as the one in a similar Tek scope. Has anyone given it a real workout?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've used the FFT on the Rigol 1042/1052CD (mixed signal) scopes. Had been experimenting with it (no definite purpose at the time) and it seemed to work nicely. I recall that there were some windowing options that affect the display. My Tek digital is an older one without FFT (tds320) so I have no comparison.

Reply to
Oppie

The Tek gave a relatively flat spectrum (as expected) and the Rigol didn't. He played with the windowing options (similar on each). He could have been doing something ELSE wrong (AC vs. DC coupling or using band limit or a low bandwidth probe).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The Rigol is OK, but it's not all 'milk and honey'. Try over driving the input at the 200mV/div scale. And the FFT has some wierdness. I don't think they did the anti-aliasing filter correctly, you can see images of the low freq stuff up at the top end of the frequency range. (But hey for $400.)

George H.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 AE6EO

George Herold

Well not a real workout, but it does have some high frequency wierdness.

Of course The TEK FFT will tell you some lies too! (If I send it the stepped Sine thing I made it shows more of the lower order harmonics when compared to a SRS 770) (that's a low end TEK, TDS 1001B)

George H.

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

Reply to