Drinking and driving

Sorry you were in the hospital. I hope everything is okay.

If you are born-again and feel inspired to be the internet cop for s.e.d and decide what is allowable and what is not, I wish you well. Many have tried, all have failed.

I suggest you start now, and berate everyone who posted on the subject, which by the way, I think is pretty much EVERYONE. On the other hand, I am honored that out of maybe thirty people who contributed a comment or so, you got up out of your hospital bed and only felt inspired to try and control me. Kind of makes me feel special...

I will keep an eye out and if you post anything that is not exactly on topic of design engineering, you will be reminded and could quite possibly have your hat and badge taken away.....

JB

Reply to
learning

Hookers.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Accidents are a fact of life. Its is how life came about...

Sure, there is always someone wanting to blame someone, but the universe is way to complicated for any of us to be able to make correct predictions all the time, even if quantum mechanics were false. Getting thing "wrong" does not imply that anything "wrong" was done. getting things "right" are the real accidents.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

said:

now that

He is only trying to protect those here on this NG from your dumb remarks!

It is only your view. It is Factually illegal to drink to the point the person is unable to safely drive, or to use drugs that have the same effect, or to drive when legally blind. Or stupid!

Your tirade has no purpose, and there is no need for your putting the comments here!

Reply to
Clarence_A

The implication of the study is that, while alcohol levels might drop to zero rather quickly, the neurological effects last quite a bit longer.

The study was done in Finland, I believe. It was interesting to note that the study subjects were requested not to drink for something like

48 hours prior to participating. When their baseline reaction times were measured and then their post consumption recovery rates measured, the recovery was so slow that the original data had to be thrown out and the subjects were requested to abstain from drinking for several weeks prior to resuming the tests.

I believe the article mentioned their use of something like pupil response to light or some other measurement involving the eye, rather than some test involving voluntary muscle control.

I've tried to find more material on this study, but it predates internet posting, so Google isn't any help.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
                                -- George Carlin
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Reminds me of the one about the old man walking through one of the seedier parts of town. A hooker approaches him and asks, "Hey buddy. Would you like some super sex?"

He replies, "If its all the same to you, I'll take the soup".

If your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a thumb.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

There is some evidence that experienced drunks are less likely to be involved in accidents than those with less experience. However, it becomes difficult to convince those who are less experienced (i.e. teenagers) that a separate set of rules apply to them. If they seem mom and dad make it home blottoed with nothing more than a nod and a wink from the local cops, they can't be convinced to take their situation any more seriously.

The same goes for drug use. The poor may be more adversely affected by the use of drugs than the wealthy. But the role models that sports stars and business execs provide suggest that strict enforcement at this level will be a greater deterrent than busting only poor people.

Think honk if you're a telepath.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Or perhaps nobody can quantify what 'impairment' is.

Blood alcohol level is a simple proxy for impairment due to liquor consumption, but it might not capture the longer term effects.

Maybe the people that appear to be sober are in fact still under the effects of alcohol.

The only tools one needs in life:
WD-40 to make things go and duct tape to make them stop.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

pretty

also the

accept

in

There are, or at least were, many Japanese tourists. They stayed drunk most of the time. Very good for the Hookers! I heard they would pay $600 for a Blond!

mph.

BUT they have H1 and H2 on Oahu. No one drives below 85, traffic permitting. The Kamehamcha Highway (HWY 99) was posted at 50MPH, and there were an average of two 'accident's a day with at least one car (or Truck) doing about 75MPH. I tried to stay on the side roads and since I wasn't out much (Working 10-12 hours a day.) I was not involved in any accidents.

traffic

hour.

low

people

who

Reply to
Clarence_A

schreef in bericht news:42691193$1$woehfu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aros.net...

[snip childish rubbish]

PLONK!

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

drunk,

dumb

point the

same

putting the

whenever I

wait till

comments,

--------------------------^^^^^^^^ ??

This is an Electronics NG, and Drunk driving (Your hobby, not mine) is NOT an appropriate subject here. Try AA for the help you need!

I agree that I have been in the hospital and came in late, and yet my comments were as appropriate as your own. But your right about only one thing! Who cares what you think?

Reply to
Clarence_A

Makes sense to me as well. If you are going to die, it may as well be for a good reason. Smoke, drink, screw around, pay tax and don't piss of the neighbours.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

"John Woodgate" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

[snip]

Elderly people require more medical care than others. It would be nice if a greater part of the available funds was spend on giving these folks a better quality of life. Because quality of life is not just health or trying to repair the unrepairable physical defects. I vote for spending more funds on a more social society, rather than just look at the physical health of elderly indiviuals. The net result of the current attitude towards these issues only adds a couple of years to their otherwise miserable lives. I vote for 50% discount on drinks in the local pub for age 65+, 75% discount on taxi's, 100% discount on public transport, 65% discount on services provided by the oldest trade, free soup, free postage for postcards, tax-free shopping, eh, did I forget something...?

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote (in ) about 'Drinking and driving', on Fri, 22 Apr 2005:

True.

It doesn't even capture the short-term effects very well. Some people are noticeably impaired after three large beers, others not.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Last time I got rousted for DUI, I had a BAC of .26. And I was ambulatory.

Going by the numbers is the way of the willess.

--
Cheers!
Rich

Boy, you and Larry sure are easy marks.

--
Good Luck Anyway!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus

"Infrequently." "Is that one word, or two?"

--
The Pig Bladder from Uranus
Reply to

Gimme a break. It was just sarcasm. :-) If everyone wasn't always trying to Bloggs everyone else around it, it would be a bit more fun........

JB

Reply to
learning

exactly on

quite possibly

always trying

NOTE. I did not say what you quoted. I said clearly

"This is an Electronics NG, and Drunk driving (Your hobby, not mine) is NOT an appropriate subject here. Try AA for the help you need!"

"I agree that I have been in the hospital and came in late, and yet my comments were as appropriate as your own. But your right about only one thing! Who cares what you think?"

BTW; My name is NOT Mark! You must have me confused with someone else.

Reply to
Clarence_A