Does this thermodynamic invention make any sense?

be plausible enough to be funny.

le you sit on your little island,

Australia isn't a little island - it's the largest one on the planet, and w hile Australia is smaller than the US - 7.7 million km^2 versus the US 9.4, it's still the sixth largest country in the world (where the US is the fou rth largest), and more than twice the area of the seventh largest.

istory of civilizations. Consider yourself lucky you aren't here.

I do. But the theft of US quality of life is by the US rich from the rest o f the population - the 1% stealing from the 99%. If you taxed your wealthy a little more heavily - even as low as at the UK level - your government ha ve enough money to pay for universal health care, and an education system t hat could exploit the talents of your working class, which are being sadly wasted at the moment.

You get by by importing immigrants who have been educated in countries with better ideas about maximising their national wealth, but your declining li ving standards are making the US an unattractive place to work - it's alway s been a dire place to bring up children, and some of my friends got out ye ars ago when they noticed what US schools were doing to their kids.

100 meter dash?

I live in the centre of Sydney, and can - and do - walk to the Opera House from time to time. This isn't kangaroo country. I grew up in a rural town ( population 15,000) in northern Tasmania, and didn't see any kangaroos there either. They are herbivores, so there's no need to out-run them. I'm 71 an d gave up field hockey two years ago, so my time for the 100 metre dash is unremarkable - I'm not sure that I could sustain a running pace for 100 met res these days. When I was going to hockey training, we used to start our t raining session by running around the hockey field (320 metres) and for the last few years I'd run out of puff around the 200 metre mark. That was aro und the time I had my aortic valve replaced.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

history of civilizations. Consider yourself lucky you aren't here.

of the population - the 1% stealing from the 99%.

The 1% seem concentrated around Washington D.C., and almost all support Obama.

K level - your government have enough money to pay for universal health car e, and an education system that could exploit the talents of your working c lass, which are being sadly wasted at the moment.

That prescription has been tried the last five years, and it has created not more equality, but less. A lot less, and a lot less opportunity by all measures.

It's also propaganda. We mostly don't have a static wealthy group raking in all the money each year--that's a myth. But engorging government is certainly creating such a group--the more government controls, the more rent-seekers appear, and the more they make from it.

Obama's taken that to heights we've never seen, such as delaying the Keystone pipeline--raising the USA's cost of energy and CO2 emissions--to benefit his friend Buffett's BNSF railroad's oil shipping, apparently.

th better ideas about maximising their national wealth, but your declining living standards are making the US an unattractive place to work - it's alw ays been a dire place to bring up children, and some of my friends got out years ago when they noticed what US schools were doing to their kids.

You're right about the schools. The left grabbed essentially a monopoly of them once Carter established his Dept. of Education, and it's been a downhill slide ever since.

It's not for lack of money. We've doubled spending per capita since that time, for no better performance. Instead we've got lots of entitled administrators, "diversity" coaches, and other baggage.

Education has been turned into indoctrination. Politically-correct dogma is taught; shop and practical life skills cancelled, to make room. After Carter vacated, the Reagan folks discovered pallets of Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" warehoused, which the Carter administration had been distributing to schools en masse.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

he history of civilizations. Consider yourself lucky you aren't here.

st of the population - the 1% stealing from the 99%.

bama.

As any Tea-Party supporting right-wing nitwit will tell you. The reality is rather different, but James Arthur will never know.

UK level - your government have enough money to pay for universal health c are, and an education system that could exploit the talents of your working class, which are being sadly wasted at the moment.

You may have made your education system more accessible than it was - thoug h I've not seen any evidence to suggest that this has actually happened - b ut you haven't made it remotely accessible enough to make any kind of real difference.

in all the money each year--that's a myth.

Nobody says you have - so it's a myth you've just invented for rhetorical e ffect. You do have an ever-changing group of very wealthy people who rake i n a lot of the money every year. Most of the change in the very-wealthy gro up comes as people move from wealthy to very wealthy and back again. The US has less inter-generational social mobility than any other advanced indust rial country - there's still quite a bit, but having rich parents gives you a bigger head-start in the US than it does in any other advanced industria l country.

ernment controls, the more rent-seekers appear, and the more they make from it.

The US collects less of the national income in taxes than pretty much any o ther advanced industrial country. Thomas Piketty in figure 13.1 0f his book puts the US proportion at 30%, the UK's at 40%, Frances at 50% and Sweden' s at 55%.

The Us rent-seekers have already got their claws in to the US national inco me, and they work by cutting the government out, rather than diverting tax revenue.

Keystone pipeline--raising the USA's cost of energy and CO2 emissions--to b enefit his friend Buffett's BNSF railroad's oil shipping, apparently.

I'm sure that the relationship is apparent to you. More objective observers might see it as imagined. And he could have other reasons for rejecting th e Republican attempts to fast-track the last stage of the project.

with better ideas about maximising their national wealth, but your declinin g living standards are making the US an unattractive place to work - it's a lways been a dire place to bring up children, and some of my friends got ou t years ago when they noticed what US schools were doing to their kids.

of them once Carter established his Dept. of Education, and it's been a dow nhill slide ever since.

Carter was president from 1977 to 1981. Since 1970 the proportion of US sec ondary school students graduating from high school has risen from 50% to 85 %.

The extra students graduating had to stay at school longer, and had to work harder to make it. They required more and better teaching, which has been more expensive.

So your "downhill slide" is from cheap inadequate education that failed hal f the students to more expensive education that fails only one in six. You' ve spelled out what *you* want from the education system, and it does seem to be safer in the hands of the left.

time, for no better performance.

From 1970 to now you've moved from graduating half the students to graduati ng 85%. That's an improvement in performance, which has cost you in extra e xpenditure. You will probably claim that it isn't a "real" improvement and represents a dilution of the quality of the high school graduates. In reali ty the quality is pretty much what it always was, but more students from lo w-income families have been dragooned into hanging on in secondary educatio n until they graduate. It costs you in property taxes, and you don't hire a nybody who isn't a college graduate anyway, so you don't see any advantage in it.

Germany takes the idea quite a bit further, and is making a lot of money ou t of it.

d other baggage.

Ask any right-wing nitwit and they will confirm that this is "true". Their understanding of "true" is that they've heard it from Rush Limbaugh on Fox News.

US education always was. It's given you the delusion that the US constituti on is perfect, rather than the MS/DOS of political operating systems.

elled, to make room. After Carter vacated, the Reagan folks discovered pal lets of Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" warehoused, which the Carter ad ministration had been distributing to schools en masse.

What did they replace it with? Pallets of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"?

Regan's taste for right-wing nonsense included Bastiat's rubbish, but that' s a bit exotic for the US secondary education system. US primary and second ary education has never been short of politically correct dogma - it's call ed civics - and what you are complaining about is that isn't rabidly right- wing enough to match your delusions.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I understand all that. But from an energy efficiency standpoint, Peltier devices suck -- I suspect that if you're trying to optimize power out vs. flame size, a Stirling engine and a generator would work better.

(Or maybe a Colman lantern with a proper mantle!)

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

e:

the history of civilizations. Consider yourself lucky you aren't here.

rest of the population - the 1% stealing from the 99%.

Obama.

is rather different, but James Arthur will never know.

I've got to run, but it won't take but a moment to quadruple the effort you put into your post.

10 of the 15 richest U.S. counties now cluster on Washington D.C.

That's under Obama, and thanks to all the Bill Sloman you support. (Others support, excuse me.)

he UK level - your government have enough money to pay for universal health care, and an education system that could exploit the talents of your worki ng class, which are being sadly wasted at the moment.

ugh I've not seen any evidence to suggest that this has actually happened - but you haven't made it remotely accessible enough to make any kind of rea l difference.

Fiction.

ng in all the money each year--that's a myth.

effect. You do have an ever-changing group of very wealthy people who rake in a lot of the money every year.

Most of your prescriptions are based on class warfare, which rather falls apart if there aren't any (fixed) classes, doesn't it?

(It's amazing what thinking about propaganda does to it.)

althy to very wealthy and back again. The US has less inter-generational so cial mobility than any other advanced industrial country - there's still qu ite a bit, but having rich parents gives you a bigger head-start in the US than it does in any other advanced industrial country.

Fabrication.

overnment controls, the more rent-seekers appear, and the more they make fr om it.

other advanced industrial country. Thomas Piketty in figure 13.1 0f his bo ok puts the US proportion at 30%, the UK's at 40%, Frances at 50% and Swede n's at 55%.

In which case Thomas Piketty is rather a dullard. Our total burden is over 40%, just distributed differently, local vs. federal.

come, and they work by cutting the government out, rather than diverting ta x revenue.

Incoherent. Rent-seekers (such as Obama's Obamacare insurers) profit by getting favored status from Obama, and getting Obama to exclude, punish, regulate, or otherwise disadvantage their would-be competitors.

That's how we get a static group of super-rich. To the extent we have it, it's from your type of doings, yet you bewail your results.

benefit his friend Buffett's BNSF railroad's oil shipping, apparently.

rs might see it as imagined.

You oughtn't comment beyond your ken.

s with better ideas about maximising their national wealth, but your declin ing living standards are making the US an unattractive place to work - it's always been a dire place to bring up children, and some of my friends got out years ago when they noticed what US schools were doing to their kids.

y of them once Carter established his Dept. of Education, and it's been a d ownhill slide ever since.

econdary school students graduating from high school has risen from 50% to

85%.

rk harder to make it. They required more and better teaching, which has bee n more expensive.

You made that up.

alf the students to more expensive education that fails only one in six. Yo u've spelled out what *you* want from the education system, and it does see m to be safer in the hands of the left.

at time, for no better performance.

ting 85%. That's an improvement in performance, which has cost you in extra expenditure.

a dilution of the quality of the high school graduates. In reality the qua lity is pretty much what it always was, but more students from low-income f amilies have been dragooned into hanging on in secondary education until th ey graduate.

No, we've added administrators, en masse. That's where the money goes.

llege graduate anyway, so you don't see any advantage in it.

Fiction.

out of it.

and other baggage.

r understanding of "true" is that they've heard it from Rush Limbaugh on Fo x News.

Ad hominem, and misdirected. Limbaugh isn't on Fox News, demonstrating your level of misapprehension, and I seldom partake. I don't get Fox News at all.

Why don't you just blame Jews? Or Emmanuel Goldstein, or some other imaginary Marxist foil?

I'd cite actual stats, but you're not fact-based anyhow.

Yes, of course. That's where all those World Wars, dictators, and governments who slew their citizens by the millions got incubated last century, right?

han the MS/DOS of political operating systems.

It's a control system that optimizes opportunity and prosperity for all, via freedom--thoughts well over collectivist heads. It takes actual study to understand how really good it is. So let's just say "Four legs good, two legs bad," shall we?

ncelled, to make room. After Carter vacated, the Reagan folks discovered p allets of Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" warehoused, which the Carter administration had been distributing to schools en masse.

Ad hominem.

t's a bit exotic for the US secondary education system. US primary and seco ndary education has never been short of politically correct dogma - it's ca lled civics - and what you are complaining about is that isn't rabidly righ t-wing enough to match your delusions.

More inventions.

The fact is still that we've had a five-year trial of all you hold dear, and it's made worse all the things you said it would cure--crushed those in the middle, lowered wages, employment, and opportunity; swelled those on public assistance; exploded our debt, at the same time as greatly increasing our income disparity.

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's WRONG." -- Richard P. Feynman"

Redistribution. Government favoritism. It doesn't work in theory-- doesn't create more, but less. And for those who can't understand theory, it doesn't work in practice either.

But for those who understand neither, there's always fiction.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

:>

ote:

in the history of civilizations. Consider yourself lucky you aren't here.

e rest of the population - the 1% stealing from the 99%.

rt Obama.

y is rather different, but James Arthur will never know.

So what? Washington DC is where the lobbyists influence whoever is in power to give more money to the rich.

It was like that before Obama, and while he doesn't like it, the carefully crafted constitution that the founding tax evaders stuck you with doesn't g ive him any way of changing it dramatically.

the UK level - your government have enough money to pay for universal heal th care, and an education system that could exploit the talents of your wor king class, which are being sadly wasted at the moment.

ted

by

hough I've not seen any evidence to suggest that this has actually happened - but you haven't made it remotely accessible enough to make any kind of r eal difference.

An unsupported claim.

king in all the money each year--that's a myth.

al effect. You do have an ever-changing group of very wealthy people who ra ke in a lot of the money every year.

They aren't based on "class warfare" but on statistical observation, which doesn't care who is making and spending the money. If parents who have more than average wealth can purchase more than average opportunities for their kids, you got a society which isn't concentrating it's educational resources on t he people who could best advantage of them.

The Us has low inter-generational mobility - for and advanced industrial co untry, and a shortage of home-grown professionals, which it deals with by i mporting experts from other countries, including my cousin the psychiatrist , who is a medical professor someplace on the east coast.

James Arthur wouldn't know. He never thinks about the propaganda he recycle s here.

wealthy to very wealthy and back again. The US has less inter-generational social mobility than any other advanced industrial country - there's still quite a bit, but having rich parents gives you a bigger head-start in the U S than it does in any other advanced industrial country.

Scarcely. Here's something pulled off Google. I've not seen it before, but it matches loads of other stuff I've come across.

government controls, the more rent-seekers appear, and the more they make from it.

ny other advanced industrial country. Thomas Piketty in figure 13.1 0f his book puts the US proportion at 30%, the UK's at 40%, Frances at 50% and Swe den's at 55%.

You can call Thomas Piketty a dullard - it suits your case - but it doesn't add to your credibility. He really does know his financial statistics, and if you tried to argue that case against him, you'd end up hog-tied and roa sted.

income, and they work by cutting the government out, rather than diverting tax revenue.

Rent-seekers maximise what they get from what they own. US capital holders have been getting favourable treatment since the country was established, a nd they started getting particularly favourable treatment under Reagan. Pro bably the biggest component is the erratic collection of US corporate taxes - the US has pretty much the highest corporate tax rate of advanced indust rial countries but tax loopholes - like depletion allowances - mean that it has one of the lower rates of corporate tax collection.

Utter nonsense.

Keystone pipeline--raising the USA's cost of energy and CO2 emissions--to b enefit his friend Buffett's BNSF railroad's oil shipping, apparently.

vers might see it as imagined. And he could have other reasons for rejectin g the Republican attempts to fast-track the last stage of the project.

How would you know? Your insights are narrowly constrained by what you are willing to understand - basically "Republicans good, Democrats bad" - and w hile you can muster loads of support for your demented point of view, you r emain totally ignorant of any evidence that doesn't support it.

Relatively low inter-generational mobility in the US is a well-known fact, and it's been known about for years, but James thinks that the claim is a " fabrication". That's selective ignorance of a very high order.

ies with better ideas about maximising their national wealth, but your decl ining living standards are making the US an unattractive place to work - it 's always been a dire place to bring up children, and some of my friends go t out years ago when they noticed what US schools were doing to their kids.

oly of them once Carter established his Dept. of Education, and it's been a downhill slide ever since.

secondary school students graduating from high school has risen from 50% t o 85%.

work harder to make it. They required more and better teaching, which has b een more expensive.

I didn't. A while ago you posted some right-wing think-tank's story about r ising US secondary education costs, which didn't mention the improvement in the improvement in the percentage of students graduating from high school, and I dug out the statistics showing what was actually going on.

You may have repressed the memory, as it doesn't fit your world view, or wo rked out some way to blind yourself to it, but you should be able to rememb er that I didn't make it up.

Repeating the search produced different data

but the picture is much the same. More money has been spent on getting less promising students through to graduation.

So your "downhill slide" is from cheap inadequate education that failed ha lf the students to more expensive education that fails only one in six. You 've spelled out what *you* want from the education system, and it does seem to be safer in the hands of the left.

that time, for no better performance.

uating 85%. That's an improvement in performance, which has cost you in ext ra expenditure.

ts a dilution of the quality of the high school graduates. In reality the q uality is pretty much what it always was, but more students from low-income families have been dragooned into hanging on in secondary education until they graduate.

Ask any right-wing nitwit, and they'll tell you what Fox News has told them . You may get your misinformation from higher-level propaganda generators, li ke the Heritage Foundation, but it's still rubbish.

Of course schools have added administrators. Teachers are trained to teach. Using them as administrators is foolish - they aren't trained in administr ation, so they don't do it all that well, and it takes up time when they co uld be teaching.

college graduate anyway, so you don't see any advantage in it.

James Arthur's blinkers working harder than usual.

y out of it.

, and other baggage.

eir understanding of "true" is that they've heard it from Rush Limbaugh on Fox News.

your level of misapprehension, and I seldom partake. I don't get Fox News at all.

Neither does John Larkin, but he, like you peddles the same misinformation.

imaginary Marxist foil?

Nobody with a name like Sloman is going to blame Jews. Mine comes from Taun ton in the UK, which has more Slomans than London, despite having about 1% of the population, but most of the other Slomans I know do have Jewish anc estors.

Generated by the Heritage Foundation with same careful attention to detail (hiding the detail that doesn't fit the story) that you specialise in.

US mis-education has killed quite a few this century. Pinochet's liberation of Chile comes to mind. The US/UK overthrow of Mosaddegh in Iran was earli er. The Shah killed rather fewer people than Pinochet, but the consequent m ess after he was slung out killed quite a lot more. The invasion of Irak wa s one of the more lethal consequences.

than the MS/DOS of political operating systems.

Twaddle. It's messy and over-complicate system that gives the wealthy loads of opportunities to by-pass the will of the people.The wealthy have been e xploiting their opportunities since 1789.

t say "Four legs good, two legs bad," shall we?

It takes even more study to learn how much better the subsequent models are . You read Bastiat, who died in 1850.

cancelled, to make room. After Carter vacated, the Reagan folks discovered pallets of Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" warehoused, which the Carte r administration had been distributing to schools en masse.

Wrong. What person does that question impugn?

hat's a bit exotic for the US secondary education system. US primary and se condary education has never been short of politically correct dogma - it's called civics - and what you are complaining about is that isn't rabidly ri ght-wing enough to match your delusions.

Is it an invention to claim that US schools teach civics, and that they do so on the basis that the US constitution is a well-worked out scheme for ru nning a country?

The depressing thing about Obama is that he knows what needs to be changed, but has had very little success in changing anything. Obamacare does clean up some of the weaknesses of your moronic system for running healthcare, b ut the compromises required to get it through your money-dominated legislat ure made it something very close to a Pyrrhic victory

w smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's WRONG." -- Richard P. Feynman"

An experiment depends on controlled conditions. The Obama administration ha sn't even been a field trial - his team has been preoccupied with dealing w ith the consequences of the GFC, which occurred on Dubbya's watch.

Tell that to the Germans and the population of Scandinavia. Redistribution doesn't have to be government favouritism - though the defects of the US co nstitution have made pork-barreling a constant and persistent feature of yo ur political life. Germany and Scandinavia devote their high taxes to makin g their populations healthier, better educated and more productive. It can be done, but it takes a better political system than the US has a the momen t.

Mostly peddled by the Heritage Foundation. Every fact that they consent to notice is real, but what they construct by selective omission is total fict ion.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Here is a cheaper one - add a fan if you are into DIY

The company "banggood" is actually OK to deal with - the same as Deal Extreme but they are not drop shippers

Reply to
David Eather