Do you personally use a plastic solderless breadboard?

The advantage of the adapter boards is that it's fairly easy to replace a zapped part. It's awful if you solder a bunch of Rs and Cs and wires directly to the IC pins.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

with prices like these:

it is hardly worth the work of combining and cutting stuff from panels

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I use leftover component leads for >90% of my connections, and PVC-insulated #26 stranded for most of the long runs. Strips well, not too stiff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I just gotta ask... does anyone here believe this crap?

Reply to
John S

It's not usually that bad with dead-bug--everything is high enough up to begin with that you just bend them all up, sneak a new chip in, and bend them back down again. You usually lose the bypass caps, because the leads are so short that they come loose on desoldering, but that's pretty easy to fix.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Which part don't you like?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Cool. The da Vinci v1.0 cost about $500 plus whatever the filament material cost. We did a survey of available low end 3D printers and it was one of few that looked reasonable and was affordable. Better printers are available for more money.

Are you able to get a smooth finish without secondary operations? I tried hitting some scrap parts with a heat gun and a fast solvent wash/rinse. These reflow the surface without deforming the part. They work, but are not exactly my idea of easy or precise.

The lower receiver is possible, but the upper receiver needs to be more durable as it has to handle the full gas pressure. Right now, I'm slowly working with the machine owner on a personalized USB mouse package. I want ergonomic, while he wants something out of a futuristic dystopia movie nightmare. Building an arsenal will have to wait.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

You either have lousy enamel or a red-hot iron. In my experience, most enamel doesn't come off so easily at reasonable soldering temperatures. The insulation of wire-wrap wire (Kynar?) does melt easily however. There is no need to strip it before soldering.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

Yeah, I often think about how lucky I am to be in the position I am. I know that had I been born in different circumstances or even a different time my life could easily be much worse off.

But then there is still time for it to go sour...

--

Rick
Reply to

Weller set to ~350'C, the trick is to get the solder to touch the bare copper on the cut end, doing it on the middle of a wire won't work.

You can get wire with enamel that is nearly impossible to get off but most will, the rolls I have says "polysol"

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I understand that. But the panel part is taken care of by oshpark. If you need a prototype and can wait the two weeks after it is laid out, I've got you covered. If you are thinking someone can do board layout and consolidate multiple customer's designs into one panel for a quick turnaround, how the hell would anyone be able to pull that off??? If it takes days or even just one day to do a layout and you need six to fill a panel, that is over a week just waiting for the panel to fill. That part is best done by a separate outfit like oshpark with many, many customers.

I remember years ago talking to a US PCB fab company who wanted to charge a minimum per board no matter how small they were. They were scored and they weren't splitting them up so I have no idea why they felt they needed to do it this way. I went with an online firm who was likely farming it overseas and got a great price. This was in the early days of the Chinese doing this type of work. Now we have a service who takes your board designs and fabs just three by aggregating many into one batch. Awesome!

I saw on their site they merged with batchpcb, cool! Consolidation gets more frequent batches.

--

Rick
Reply to

I do the opposite. I use Teflon wire so it *doesn't* melt under iron heat. Stripping wire is easy. I generally strip twice as much bare wire as I need, attach one end, then "strip" a piece of insulation as long as needed, slide down against the previous connection, cut the other end, and attach. It's quick, though I don't do boards with thousands of wires, as I used to do with wirewrap.

Reply to
krw

I think the Lord would be just as pleased if I thanked Him for a nice morning bun, or a custard bread pudding.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:52:04 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

I think he was disbelieving in the fact that I can fire off racks of pool and never touch the table, and usually include about four to 6 bank shots per rack, and usually always the last shot.

I am going to work up a video.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why not?

Cheers

Phil "Not a pool player" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Haven't we been thru this garbage before recently?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Are you talking about John S or "the Lord". I didn't see "he" capitalized...

btw, what does "usually always" mean?

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:26:05 -0400, rickman Gave us:

I usually play bank the 8, so generally "usually" AND "always", if I can help it.

It is a great regimen as actually 'knowing' such shots gets one out of a bind better than the guy who merely says "I know how to do bank shots." Whereas I say "I can do that bank shot 9 out of ten times." "do" being "make".

I also have a tendency to clear the rank in seconds flat.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'd cut them slack (and give some credit too) considering how old that thing is. It's actually pretty cool. I had some 70s/early 80s "Sega/Gremlin" arcade machine boards that all appeared to have been layed out by hand with vinyl decals. Every single trace. boards and boards of

74xx series logic circling a z80 or something like that, all done by hand. These were production boards, but somebody spend lots of time designing those boards. Not sure what sort of board layout tools they had back then, although they must have existed. Anybody know?

Has Dolby done anything new or interesting in the past decade?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yeah, PCB layout back then was supported by... I can't think of the name of the company that made those pads and strips. They made them with scale factors so you could more easily see what you were doing, 2x and

4x that I recall. You set your design rules by picking the tape width and the pad diameter. If you were a little tight and wanted to shave a little off a pad... you shaved a little off a pad. lol

I didn't do layout then, but I've seen the artwork. Xacto knives are your friends even if it is just for picking up the tracks and pads and placing them.

I don't think CAD systems were used much even for layout until around the time the PC hit the scene. I guess the big companies had them... with "huge" 20" CRTs and light pens most likely. Don't know for sure.

--

Rick
Reply to