Do they make...

...Jim Thompson

I hit send too soon :-(

Do they make a fender washer, but slotted so you can loosen a bolt and slip it in as a shim?

Trying to level some heavy weight drawer glides that have sagged over

16 years of time... but avoid taking out screws and facing re-alignment horrors :-) ...Jim Thompson

Why do you need to unloosen bolts just to wash your fenders?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why don't you make one yourself, a hacksaw should do the trick ;)

Greets, Fritz

Reply to
Fritz

Sounds like work :-( ...Jim Thompson

Dremel tool? -- Less work than going to the store if you only need a few...?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Duh... He is practising for fender bender....

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

McMaster-Carr has them... Search for slotted washers

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

A Dremel would do most of the work, and a vise pretty much the rest. :)

Reply to
WangoTango

Yes, but if you only need a few you may spend less time making some than finding them.

I can't even remember what they're called -- either slotted washers or shims. Alignment shops use them on some front-end alignment jobs, and vintage car restoration places use them when mounting bodies to frames. I don't know who else would use them, but they'd be handy little buggers, for sure.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'd use a Dremel and a cutoff disc,much easier.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have the cut-off tool... I'm just lazy ;-) ...Jim Thompson

You can buy an assortment of body shims at a car parts place.

Harbor Freight has a 144 piece assortment for $7.99

Description of Storehouse 67585

Spacers for adjusting camber, caster and toe at the front or rear wheels.

  • Sizes: 1/64", 1/32", 1/16", 1/8"

Tolerance: 1/64": 0.39-0.4

1/32":0.79-0.8 1/16":1.55-1.60 1/8":3.15-3.20 Quantity: 24 each of 1/16" and 1/8", 48 each of 1/32" and 1/64"
--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

I've seen these, they are called "slip-in shims" or something like that. I'm pretty sure MSC or similar machine tool supply has them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Slotted shim stock is what you need, be prepared to spend some money!

Its cheaper to put some washers in a vise and run a 4 inch grinder through them for the slot.

Reply to
Jamie

Wow, tolerances specified as a range in millimeters for an English size! Very nice mixed units! :-)

As a percentage that's ~ +/-1.25% ... not bad at all, for something so inexpensive.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Considering the use, it's probably better than they need to line up body parts. I've seen that type of shim used on old mainframe hard drives when they milled a casting too far, or the mounting frame wasn't accurate. It looked funny, shims under rubber shock mounts. :)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

About 5 cents each.

Cheaper? Maybe, but only if you have the tools and your time has a negative value and you don't give a damn how bad it looks. Of course, I don't expect good advice from you and I'm never disapointed.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

put the washer in your vice and take a hacksaw to it, or dremel tool.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

:On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:58:14 -0700, Jim Thompson : wrote: : :I hit send too soon :-( : :Do they make a fender washer, but slotted so you can loosen a bolt and :slip it in as a shim? : :Trying to level some heavy weight drawer glides that have sagged over :16 years of time... but avoid taking out screws and facing :re-alignment horrors :-) : : ...Jim Thompson

It could be a 'C' washer

Ross Herbert