Do people really buy into this ?

These guys drink Mad Dog brand.

--
Boris
Reply to
Boris Mohar

Not sure the number of folks here who will get that reference.

Reply to
SoothSayer

To fill out the gassy midrange I would recommend several dark porters (as in beer) to go with the chili. They will also add that distinctive sweetness to your odiferous melody.

George H.

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

OK, that kind of subjective stuff sounds REAL familiar! Some of my friends used to buy the "Audiophool" magazines just to laugh at the same sort of crock-ery. I remember one about having to go to insane lengths to prevent electrical noise from coming through the plastic air hose feeding an air-bearing turntable from making the sound "harsh" or some similar subjective gibberish.

I didn't really know those types were still around, but I guess so.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

snip

so cost it really the only consideration, bigger price tag more to brag about, function is not important

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

You philistines of the 47% proletariat just don't appreciate the audio quality achievable with speaker cables made of CONDUCTIVE dielectric:

Actually those are cheaper than some other audio cables advertised with the same feature.

Reply to
Bob Boblaw

On a sunny day (Sat, 9 Feb 2013 05:22:25 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bob Boblaw wrote in :

Oh, OctoHelixHyperLitz, of course. I am thinking about selling GOP audio cable, it is truely politcally biased to make you hear what you want to hear. The black 0bama cables are for the masses, are cheaper, and come with insurance.

When using both cables it is safe to cut the black wire.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, it's not as if function is ignored. It's generally assumed that if you spend a huge amount of money, some minimal level of performance and feature set will be supplied. It's much like the difference between a VW bug and a Rolls Royce. Both will deliver you to your destination. However, there is a perceived difference in the manner and style of the delivery. Same with audiophile sound. A commodity boom box will deliver the same sounds, but a $200,000 system delivers it in style.

Here's an example of such a system: Note the word "ultimate" on the home page. Their system interconnects literally everything electrical and electronic in the house. The system I worked on cost well over $100,000 including installation labor. I think there was also an annual maintenance and warranty contract, but I don't recall the cost.

My job was to wire and integrate the computers, internet, printers, VoIP, and such, which rapidly expanded into connecting every piece of electronics in the house to the Elan interface boxes. The actual wiring was done by a licensed electrical contractor. What I couldn't do was program the system because the programming software, technical docs, or useful info are only available to authorized installers.

The result was that audio, video, AV server, juke box, telephone, internet, satellite TV, security, cameras, HVAC, inside lighting, outside lighting, door bells, smoke/CO alarms, police scanner, kitchen appliance monitoring, curtains, etc were accessible from almost every room. I had a few difficulties. For example, the in-the-wall LCD TV/monitor in the bathroom would crash and die due to the high humidity. So, I built a sealed enclosure, and supplied positive dry air pressure when the bathroom fan was turned on or a humidity sensor was active, so that no moist air entered the enclosure. The system worked well, but the air compressor was noisy. I went through four aquarium pumps before I found one that was quiet. My only failures were integrating the rooftop Davis weather station and the grid tied solar system, which I plan to add in a few months.

There were no $1000 power cables or $1500 power distribution boxes in the system. However, some of the components were not exactly cheap. My exorbitant labor charges were more than justified in the savings from not having to pay the vendor $30 for 6ft ethernet cables or $100 for HDMI cables. There is some talk of expanding the system for voice control.

Does the owner really need all this technology? Probably not, but if the money is available, and he needs parts of the system, he might was well get the best. It certainly got plenty of attention (and stress testing) at the last party.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Octohelix Hyperlitz! I gotta get some!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Too bad if there's a power failure.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

They definitely are havin' a laugh. How can anything be flat and grainy? Applying such adjectives to sound ... words fail me.

Years ago the serious wine column in the local newspaper referred to a wine's "cow shit notes". There was nothing else in the piece to suggest that the writer was taking the piss, so I still don't know if it was a joke.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

There are SPS (standby power system) boxes on all the controllers. The LCD touch controllers are powered by the controllers. The SPS boxes will run for about 30-45 minutes, which is more than adequate for the

12kw(?) generator to start. The wall outlets in the house and out building are double wired. One outlet is color coded beige, which in unprotected PG&E power. The other pair is color coded orange, which is protected by the various SPS boxes and the generator. Some of the smaller boxes (cable modem, various wireless routers, Ethernet switches, etc) run on local 12V gel cell batteries and chargers.

There are plenty of things I would like to change or fix, but the owner does not like continuous tinkering and construction. So, when he leaves on business or vacation, all the various contractors simultaneously arrive to do the work. It's quite a mess but in the end, everything usually works as expected. The difficult part is teaching the family how to operate the various gadgets. The kids figure it out first. The owner, last. Fortunately, I'm not involved in the training.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

In studio applications, they condition power to keep out clicks and such. A click from the power line into a recording is there forever. For home use, a bit overkill.

Panamax is a pretty old company, so I wouldn't completely write off such products.

There is a long history of power conditioning, certainly in the old mainframe computer days. Rather than do an overkill job in the product itself, they traditionally cleaned up the AC instead. I recall those big ass Topaz isolation transformers.

It seems to me, you should design your product to accept noisy AC power, but then that makes the product more expensive compared to the competition that doesn't filter as well.

Some audiophile are buying double conversion UPSs (server room gear), which essentially provide conditioned power. This pops up on the AVS forum from time to time. Double conversion UPSs are dam noisy audibly.

But if your AV gear has a switcher in it, it should already have decent noise isolation.

Reply to
miso