Now this... this is *really* fast

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A pal of mine from grad school, Mark Rodwell, has been trying to make 1 THz transistors for awhile now. Eventually you get limited by the plasma frequ ency of the free charge, which iirc is a few THz in semiconductors but a fe w petahertz in metals. That's one reason I worked on metal-insulator-metal (MIM) junctions--they're fast enough to rectify light.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So a solar panel made as a crystal set comprising zillions of tiny antennae feeding individual high speed rectifiers to solve the world's energy problems!

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:21:28 +0000, Syd Rumpo Gave us:

snip

You should tell Tesla.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You laugh. Some of my devices got above 7% quantum efficiency, and that was with basically just me working on it. (I did much of the processing and ev en wrote a big-iron optimizing EM simulator code to get there.) If the shu nt resistance can be increased and the asymmetry improved, it could be.

I have a project along those lines in the offing--the PO has been cut, but I'm waiting for the State Department to rule on whether it's ITAR-controlle d or not. (The customer is overseas.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not as crazy as it might seem to you!

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

'Rectannas' for microwaves have been around for a while, but optical frequencies appear to be a bit more of a challenge...

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Would the overall efficiency be abut the same as the conventional photo capture method?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Better; solar cells use a mechanism that is forever limited to 50% energy recovery, while an array of rectennae is only limited by impedance matching (if you know the input is narrowband, it's easy to make the correct geometry).

Reply to
whit3rd

It's a little more complicated than that. Tunnel junction rectennas operate in different physical regimes for different frequencies. In the low-energy limit (h nu / e

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I was going to ask why 50 % but I found this...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

And I remember seeing a patent on that. An example in a whiz-bang article about "super-inventors", one of those guys who patented a record number of patents. Basically, every idea where he could get legal paper. (Lemulson(?)).

There was a news item in a recent New Scientist about a report of the development of one of the blackest black coatings. It was described as a coating containing hammer shaped gold nanostructures. One thing was that it could be combined with a dye so that it would absorb energy on a broad range of wavelengths and emit the light on the one determined by the dye.

First thought: combine this with the rectenna solar cell tuned the output color/frequency of the dye.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 13:16:52 -0500, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Maybe it is a case of (side) lobal warming. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno