DM74LS244

Hello,

I have a relay ( Quad package ). It requires 16mA current to operate. I need to toggle it from the PC with a optocoupler. My application needs eight of these relays and I can only use one optocoupler. So, I was thinking that optocoupler will drive all the input pins of the DM74LS244 at the same time and the DM74LS244's each output will drive the relay. Is it a good idea. All the relays will switch ON/OFF at the same time. The optocoupler can provide upto 14mA.

Relay :

DM74LS244 :

Thanks John

Reply to
john

He\'ll probably be pulling current through the coupler\'s LED in order
to turn on the relays, so he\'ll need a 2N4403 instead of a 2N4401:

             +V
             |         +V
            [R]        |
             +--[R]--B PNP
ON>--+       |         C
     |A      C         |
   [LED]-->B OPTO      +-------+ - - - +
__   |       E         |K      |       |
ON>--+       |      [DIODE] [COIL1] [COIL8]
            GND        |       |       |
                       +-------+ - - - +

                      GND
Reply to
John Fields

Only to the rest of the circuit. And the programmer. ;-)

Exactly. I don't know why he can't find optocouplers that can handle

16 mA, and be done with the buffer entirely.

For example:

Or is this eight relays simultaneously? Then, what the other guys said is right.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--- The coupler can only pull down, but to answer your question, yes. Your suggestion requires current to be flowing in the LED in order for the relays to be turned off. In other words, the relays default to the ON condition with no current into the LED. In most normal circumstances, one would expect the relays to default to the OFF state and to be turned on when current is forced through the opto's LED.

---

--- Yes, but that's immaterial at the moment.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--
If you\'d taken the time to read the OP\'s original post you could
have saved yourself the trouble of looking up the opto spec\'s.

Yes, he wants to run them all in parallel.
Reply to
John Fields

On 11 Jan 2006 08:34:16 -0800 in sci.electronics.design, "john" wrote,

How does a 74ls244 functionality enter in to this at all?

If you want to drive all eight relays at once, put the coils in parallel. 8 x 16 = 128 mA, one medium general purpose transistor will do, e.g. 2n4401

Reply to
David Harmon

Hi john,

74LS244 wont be lucky if all outputs should drive maximum current. Take a few discrete transistors or transistor arrays. This will be more robust.

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:52:40 -0600 in sci.electronics.design, John Fields wrote,

Does it matter whether the coupler pulls up or pulls down? It's isolated, right?

Reply to
David Harmon

It is more the custom to specify the nominal relay coil voltage and not the current. Checking your datasheet

It is only the standard 24V coil relays that activate at the 16mA currents. You can't drive those with the 5V 74LS244.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

--
Yes. Or, better yet,:

             +V
             |         +V
             C         |
   [LED]-->B OPTO      +-------+ - - - +
__   |       E         |K      |       |
ON>--+       |      [DIODE] [COIL1] [COIL8]
             |         |       |       |
             |         +-------+ - - - +
             |         |
             +--[R]--B NPN
            [R]        |
             |        [R]
            GND
Reply to
John Fields

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:45:59 -0600 in sci.electronics.design, John Fields wrote,

Oh, nonsense.

+V | +V C | [LED]-->B OPTO +-------+ - - - + __ | E |K | | ON>--+ | [DIODE] [COIL1] [COIL8] | | | | | +-------+ - - - + | | | C +--[R]--B NPN E | GND
Reply to
David Harmon

Is this a contest? ;-)

+V | +V C | [LED]-->B OPTO +-------+ - - - + __ | E |K | | ON>--+ | [DIODE] [COIL1] [COIL8] | | | | | +-------+ - - - + [R] | | C +-------B NPN | E [R] | | [R] GND

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On 12/01/2006 the venerable Rich Grise etched in runes:

Don't know, but it's OK I'll fix it.

+V | +V [R] | +V | C | [LED]-->B OPTO +-------+ - - - + __ | E |K | | ON>--+ | [DIODE] [COIL1] [COIL8] | | | | | +-------+ - - - + [R] | | C +-------B NPN | E [R] | | [R] GND
--
John B

Delete \'spam blocker\' to reply direct
Reply to
John B

--
Oops...
             +V
             |         +V
             C         |
   [LED]-->B OPTO      +-------+ - - - +
__   |       E         |K      |       |
ON>--+       |      [DIODE] [COIL1] [COIL8]
             |         |       |       |
             |         +-------+ - - - +
             |         |
             +--[R]--B NPN
            [R]        |
             |       [GND]
            GND
Reply to
John Fields

--- Thinking about your circuit some more, with a forced beta of ten in the NPN, the degradation of the opto's current transfer ratio because of the addition of the emitter resistor may cause it to not work.

Try this:

+V +V | | [R] [R] | +V | C | [LED]-->B OPTO +-------+ - - - + __ | E |K | | ON>--+ | [DIODE] [COIL1] [COIL8] | | | | | +-------+ - - - + | | | C +-------B NPN E | GND

where the opto's emitter is raised a fixed about 0.7V above ground, or this:

+V | +V [R] | +V | C | [LED]-->B OPTO +-------+ - - - + __ | E |K | | ON>--+ | [DIODE] [COIL1] [COIL8] | | | | | +-------+ - - - + | | | C +-------B NPN E | [GND]

where the LED drive and the CTR of the opto is all that's limiting the current into the NPN.

Unfortunately, all of these approaches allow the base to float when the transistor's cut off, so for simplicity and reliability, I still think the PNP approach is best.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

I prefer the pulldown R to ensure a good clean turn-off. I guess with a PNP, that'd be a pullup, wouldn't it? ;-) (which I'd still use) Plus, I'd arrange them like this:

+V +V [opto] | | E | | [load] [R] | | C +------B NPN | E [R] | | | GND GND

That just "feels" like it gives a more "decisive" pulldown. Of course, for PNP, I'd put the opto on the bottom of the string it's on here. And the load, of course, I'd move to the collector, which would be on the - - oh, the hell with it:

+V +V | | [R] | | E +------B PNP | C [R] | | | [opto] | | E [load] | | GND GND

Both of these are "High == On"; making it a "Low == On" is left as an exercise for the reader. [Gaw! I LOVE saying that!!!!] ;-)

Uh, yeah, that's kind what "isolator" means. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:30:27 -0600 in sci.electronics.design, John Fields wrote,

Nonsense. The output transistor of the optoisolator is isolated. It is in series with the base resistor, and passes some amount of current. It DOESN'T MATTER which one of those two series elements are higher or lower.

More nonsense. It is fine with the base floating, or add your pulldown R if you prefer. But the NPN and PNP versions work exactly the SAME WAY except for polarity. The optoisolator absolutely doesn't care whether it is pulling the NPN base up or the PNP base down and I cannot guess why you ever said it did. Either way you may have an R pulling the other way if you feel you must change something, or you may omit it.

Reply to
David Harmon

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:37:43 GMT in sci.electronics.design, Rich Grise wrote,

I am more interested in a good turn-on, so I don't care for unnecessary opposing resistance. ;-)

Reply to
David Harmon