Digital wireless systems

Hi,

I programmed Spartan chip to produce serial data ( main_Clock, Data Clock, Data and Tag ) stream for a DAC. I need to make this system work with out wires. The main clock is 3MHz, Data clock is 1.5MHz. Can anybody advice me how to make it digital wireless ( Transmitter plus receiver). I have not done anything like this before. The DAC will be at 6 feet away from the Spartan chip.

Thanks John

Reply to
john

The best way is to modulate your signal at 5.8GHz and embed the phase correction data into the data stream. I assume the data flow is one- way only.

Reply to
linnix

Hi,

Yes, The data is flowing in one way. Would you please suggest some hardware. I am also thinking about bluetooth. Please advice!

Regards, John

Reply to
john

Bluetooth will not give you 1.5MHz data rate. In fact, 5.8GHz might not be enough, but the next ISM band is 25GHz.

Reply to
linnix

Any suggestions regarding Hardware? Regards, John

Reply to
john

The Atmel ATR2820 RF Transceiver would be a good start, but I can't design your apps without knowing the full spec.

Reply to
linnix

One-off project or a few dozen or a few hundred thousand? Per week?

A hobby/learning/grow-your-brain project or for sale (and use) by a third party?

Will UL/CSA/EC/FCC/etc. certification be required?

Are the consequences of a communications failure: none, benign, pretty bad, or someone dies?

Is this for a medical application (noting that your IP block is from Wayne State University Medical Center)?

With that out of the way, if you can grind down the data rate a bit (no pun intended), you're close to being able to use an off-the-shelf solution like an XBee module, advertised to top out at 1 Mbps.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Take a look at the RF data rate of 250Kbps. Does it mean the same for me as for you?

Reply to
linnix

Hi,

What do you think about Texas Instrument's IEEE 802.16 (WiMax) chip set ( TRF1X/2X RF Chipset ). Please advice!

Regards, John

Reply to
john

No.

Maybe.

Forget about Bluetooth, WiFi, XYZBee, WiAnything. If you want slicings or channelings, you need 25GHz. To get 1.5MHz data rate, you need the full bandwidth for 5.8GHz.

Reply to
linnix

Why do I need the bandwidth of 5.8GHz. Please advice! John

Reply to
john

Radio Freguency Modulations and Demodulations.

Reply to
linnix

How many bits at the 1.5MHz rate? In other words, how many Mbps?

Regular old 802.11g wireless routers will get you >50Mbps; channel bonding (40MHz occupied bandwidth) gets you up to >80Mbps in the best cases... which is just as good as anything you get on 5.8GHz WiFi. (These are all *average* throughputs, taken from the "wireless charts" at

Joel Koltner

ch

rage*

)

Hi,

48 bits at 1.5Mhz rate?

John

Reply to
john

Never mind, Bluetooth 2.0 would be fine. I thought you mean 1.5Mbps sustained.

Reply to
linnix

You don't need 5.8 GHz of bandwidth, and no one has said that you do. But because you asked to be able to transmit continuously at 1.5 Mbps, you are going to need a high carrier frequency. Your responses to various replies indicate you really don't understand what you are asking for. So if this is anything but a hobby project, I'd "advice" you to hand this task to someone with RF experience. What you are trying to do is non-trivial because you want the equivalent of an unswitched "coax cable in the sky". Most chipsets that are available assume a much different environment, where data is packetized, pipeline delays are acceptable, retransmissions on errors or lost packets are allowed, channel equalization is dynamic, data travels in two directions (at least for acknowledgements) etc. Accounting for the overhead of these other things so you can use some vendor's OTS chip set will only increase your total bandwidth requirements. I think you'll need a custom solution or else you'll have to scale back your requirements.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"48 bits at 1.5Mhz rate?"

That's 72Mbps, so you can just manage it with the best WiFi routers out there. Go visit smallnetbuilder.com for the particular models...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

bonding

Not sure if he meant 48 bits per second, per millisecond or per microsecond.

Not so, Wifi are rated at burst data rate, not sustained rate.

Reply to
linnix

Sure, the advertised data rate is something absurd like "300Mbps!" But go read the link I provided -- the best routers absolutely do better than 70Mbps

*on average*. Obviously the speeds gets reduced as you move further from the router or have other interferers that reduce SNR, but close-in something like a Belkin N1 will do the job (see:
for under $200.
Reply to
Joel Koltner

(see:

for under $200.

And you probably want his spartan FPGA to talk ethernet as well.

Reply to
linnix