Delta-sigma noise shaping

I was referring specifically to the histogramming situation, like for radiation pulse height analysis. In this case, you don't want dithering to widen the histogram bins any more than necessary, so lowpass filtering isn't an option... you've got to undither. The guys who do this dither/undither a LOT.

For more conventional analog processing, superNyquist dithering a bit or two can really help. I've done this in electric meters: add a few lsb's of noise to the current signal before digitizing. The subsequent "power" processing consists of multiplying the current and voltage waveform samples and then averaging/integrating. That washes out the noise nicely. One can get utility-grade metering, a few watts resolution out of 20KW full-scale, from a crappy 8-bit ADC.

I don't know why people would buy a dedicated "power metering" chip when you can do it with a 60-cent HC05 type processor with on-board ADC.

John

You can make a decent d-s DAC inside an FPGA, and just RC lowpass an output pin. That works a lot better than PWM in a lot of situations. Good for stuff like tweaking DC offsets or trimming VCXOs.

John

Yes, in that sort of application it makes a lot of sense to do that. In a pulse height spectrometer application the delta modulation method isn't really an option.

Reply to
MooseFET

I have looked pretty hard a couple of times. It is really hard to get a clear let alone quality explanation. Even the old patents leave much to be desired. Just the same:

  1. "nyquist rate" vs actual sample rate appears to be 1/ bits. Telco use 56kbps F(n) ~8kHz useful BW under 4kHz (at about 8 bits). I suspect worst case is more like 1/(bits*log2(bits)).
  2. I have not found any explanation clear enough to evaluate this. Plus the ease of including dynamic compression (like a-law or u-law) makes this a much harder question. The "feedback" is very non-traditional.
  3. The noise shaping is one of the easier claims to verify. And if you do not mind a bit of transcoding works for both ADC and DAC.
  4. I cannot do enough math to evaluate this one. But the limitation would one of properties of the technique rather than one of the capability of the comparators.

They have been used lots of places, including for video. I expect the main reason that they are not seen in instruments is that far too few can follow the math to prove that the result can be as good as a SAR.

Reply to
JosephKK

No, i expect that it only has to have low jitter (for about one conversion time) not absolute edge accuracy.

More like consistency, rather than absolute amount. A rather different property.

Reply to
JosephKK

I dl'd the datasheet for "closer" study. But your summary makes me wonder if it is worthwhile.

Reply to
JosephKK

Could be any or all of: don't know how, don't have any knowledge of noise, never heard of such a thing, but the profit margin is too low, my boss told me to do it this way, isn't that part obsolete, and all of the other excuses we have frequently heard.

Reply to
JosephKK

You wouldn't happen to have a schematic for one, would you? How about a full transistor level one from old Telco days (~1960)?

I suggest "translated out of band" as a better description.

There were lots of dual slope converters doing 7+ digits in the 1970's and early 1980's. That is about 22+ bits.

Reply to
JosephKK

Really? I thought 4-1/2 was as high as it went. (Of course I was still a babe in arms then. :)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, try finding an analog switch whose charge injection is stable to attocolombs over temperature.

John

Dielectric absorption is the killer.

John

I vaguely remember _glass_ capacitors ;-)

As I recall 4-1/2 digits was actually a piece-a-cake, early '70's.

...Jim Thompson

I read some. It is a little bit better than average. It is becoming clear, the only way to understand is to make one (or more) and plan with it some (them some).

Reply to
JosephKK

Glass is mediocre for DA, as I recall. Polystyrene is pretty good. I suppose one could make a decent-capacitance air dielectric cap, with some cleverness.

I actually invented the dual-slope ADC when I was a kid, before Fairchild patented it. But I assumed I'd have to use relays, and that the timing/bounce would mess up the accuracy, so I never built one. Pity.

John

For the same reasons i would expect that the charge injection would only need to be stable per a few consecutive conversions. A differential rather than an absolute requirement.

Reply to
JosephKK

Oops, play with them.

Reply to
JosephKK

You make it sound so easy.

John

I'll find out by fiddling with one or more home built ones.

Reply to
JosephKK