Delta Sigma ADC and clock noise

Hello all,

Could you suggest a reading about the effects of clock jitter in delta-sigma ADCs ? How does it affect SNR, THD, IMD, SFDR ? For some reason, this practical aspect is not mentioned in the ADC datasheets and manuals; the typical phrase is "good quality low jitter clock should be provided", whatever it means.

It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out the numbers by hand; however I am pretty sure there must be a closed form solution already.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

If they don't specify it then you can probably take it as given, that any half decent clock oscillator will meet the spec. But it would would probably make interesting reading, sorry, I don't have any links.

I've worked on some high end low bandwidth delta-sigma devices that do specify it, and the figure was around 1ns IIRC. But the device was advertised as having a "jitter tolerant" architecture.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

This interests me too, so please correct my errors - For, say, 100 dB SNR, clock jitter noise (re the modulator sampling time) is rolled off by the modulator filter. So practically, with 1 ns jitter into a 4th order SDADC we would need Fs to be no more than

50 MHz or so. allowing a final sampling rate of 1MHz or so. Yes? No? Tony
Reply to
Tony