Sigma-Delta theory

The regulars,

So, haven't posted for quite some while now. Several years in fact.

Anyway, I wrote a paper on the Sigma-Delta linear model. As it is at variance to every paper I have ever found on the web in these 3 universes, it would be interesting to get some comments on it.

Kevin Aylward

SuperSpice

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Hi Kevin

The specifications tab on your Web site gives me a frightening message. (Windows 7)

----- Security Warning

Do you want to run this application?

! An unsigned application from the location below is requesting permission to run.

----- etc.

I preferred the old version with the picture of you playing the guitar.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Probably something to do with still running FrontPage 2000 as my web writer. There is nothing to worry about. The site does nothing. Not even cookies.

Ah....

Kevin Aylward B.Sc.

Kevin Aylward

Hey Kevin, welcome back. Perhaps Genome will turn up now.

Saved for later, I look forward to reading it, hopefully I will comprehend enough to be useful.

I spent a bit of hobby time playing with a voltage-ratio to duty-ratio converter circuit. As I considered adding more things to it I realised one day that it was just turning into a sigma-delta!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Hey Kevin, welcome back. Perhaps Genome will turn up now.

The simplified summary is that the comparator measures time, not voltage in a SD converter. Apparently all the mathematicians that write the conventional theory, don't know that a limiter can't have feedback applied to make its output different from its limit value. Its been a case of the "Emperors New Clothes". All papers repeat the same erroneous argument to arrive at what is known to be the answer they want.

I added a somewhat novel feedback distortion paper to clarify this

Yes. Fascinating how independent ideas merge. I had a good read of the original patent on Fractional-N PLL by Wells in 1985. He basically invented what is now known as a Sigma-Delta process for reducing the noise. He states that you use a Pascal's triangle to get the numbers for changing divide codes, but the patent does not say how he got there. SD theory gets there by the binomial expansion of (1-Z)^n

Kevin Aylward

Kevin Aylward

I don't understand how people make d-s ADCs so accurate. We buy parts that are linear, and bipolar ratiometric on the unipolar reference, to a few PPM.

A delta-sigma dac has many more edges than PWM - up to Fclk/2 compared to Fclk/N

- and the number of edges varies with the input. If an adc were to use the common "block-diagram" +/- feedback voltage summing into the integrator, the edges would have to be femtosecond precise.

I'm guessing that they actually use some very fancy charge dispensing architecture for both the input and feedback paths into the integrator. Still, charge injection errors must be huge compared to the ADC accuracy. Anybody know how they actually work inside?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hi Kevin, Welcome back! Looks like an interesting read. ...Jim Thompson

I imagine it's that the integrated charge injection is independent of duty cycle. The summing point can move up and down a bit, but it can't go very far, so the sum of all the nonlinear capacitance contributions is bounded by +-1 count's worth.

Just the thermal drifts in the nonlinear capacitance would be important at 24 bits!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah. And a charge dispenser will have to "empty out" to PPM emptiness every single shot. The data patterns can vary from alternate + and - shots, all the way to very long runs in one direction. Pretty impressive, to spend a few bucks on a chip that's better than a systems voltmeter that used to cost as much as a house.

Hey, not to change the subject (who, me?) but you can buy ST or FC multimode glass fiber patch cords up to 1000 um core diameter! That's like putting light through a fire hose.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yes, but they're not very flexible, which makes them sort of vulnerable. Fibre bundles are good news where you need mechanical flexibility.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not practical, as uses a Maxim AKA unobtainium part.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Oh... your not dead yet....you must be pushing it a bit by now though...

Kevin Aylward

Kevin Aylward

In a certain sense, they might not be. They can have spurious tones at specific input voltages that are not included in the claimed DC accuracy.

Yes, for PWM at fixed frequency. Measuring time to 1/100,000 within a 1MHz clock is a tad difficult. If time is measured to one clock period. Count

100,000 clocks and your resolution/accuracy is 0.001%. The capacitor/integrator is a bit like the dual slope, things cancel out.

There is a basic misconception on higher order converters and oversampling. There is a standard claim that you can have a lower oversampling ratio ( 1 bit types) than the raw N.Fs number. This is based on the random noise bit analysis of the SD converter, idle tones are not included. In fact the paper:

?Understanding Sigma-Delta Modulation: The Solved and Unresolved Issues? Joshua D. Reiss, J. Audio Eng. Soc Vol 56 no. , 2008 January/February

makes statements that the presence of idle tones is not understood at all. In particular, that "...there is no theoretical explanation for a F=Vdc.Fs "experimental" relationship for idle tones." In fact, it's trivially obvious, and I was gob smacked on discovering that there was any misunderstanding in the industry on this issue.

Have a read of the standard tutorial papers, e.g. analog devices, maxim, crystal etc. There seems to be a universal non appreciation of the fundamental tau/T=Vi/Vref nature of the SD delta converter. For rational ratios, the loop will force a constant tau/T, at some constant frequency, but noise or pseudo sampling can spread this frequency. Ratios near 1 and 0 only have one solution for tau/T = Vi/Vref. For a non rational ratio, i.e. values in-between quantum values, T might vary all over place so spurious tones may well be hidden.

This can all be checked in SuperSpice :-)

I did discover that the spice accuracy has to be set quite tight, like retol=10u, other wise the system is chaotic. In practise, it seems that circuit noise and this chaotic behaviour masks a lot of potential idle tones, but it doesn't really defeat the principle of no free lunch. For example, it seems the dominant audio SD ADC use multibit to achive a lower OSR.

Oh... in my absence I also wrote some phase noise papers, equally controversial :-)

Kevin Aylward

Kevin Aylward

It's just for playing with Robert, and their sample service has always been excellent! :)

The part in the original circuit was actually MAX4238, 7238 was a typo (so really is unobtanium).

Also the integrator capacitor ended up bigger at 100nF NPO.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

"Kevin Aylward"

** Although the geriatric POS is likely " Knocking on Heaven's Door "

- be smart to develop some " Sympathy for the Devil " - ASAP.

Ideas on air conditioning a high temp environment need following up too.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
So Jim dies and goes to Heaven, and when Saint Peter lets him through
the Pearly Gates, Jim notices that it's uncomfortably hot inside.

"Wow!", Jim exclaims, "it's hot in here.  Can't God air-condition the
place?"

"What, for the three of us?" replies Peter.
Reply to
John Fields

Naaaah! 73 is not old. If I hang around as long as my father, I've got 17 years left to go. ...Jim Thompson

Methinks "hell" is probably cooler than Arizona ;-)

(121°F a few weeks ago) ...Jim Thompson