Delco radio mod

I have a Buick Reatta and love high quality sound. My issue is one that may people face while tring to keep a factory radio and improving sound. Any way I want to find some one that is capable of getting rid of the bass roll off of my factory radio brain. I do not care how it is done. Maybe remove the factory amp and replace it with a decent aftermarket or just disable the bass roll off. I just want to keep the treble and bass controls.

Anybody here willing to take on the project? I do have the delco prints for the radio.

Reply to
screatta

Back in 1977 I used a Pioneer tuner and built my own amplifiers... bridged, to up the available power... for my Nissan 280Z. I still have the drawings. If there's interest I'll post them.

You can probably easily break into the radio prior to the power amps and basically get a line out function.

...Jim Thompson

  What\'s the difference between a horse\'s ass and Barack Obama?
                            Lipstick!

Up to available power meaning until the ignition coughed? I am just picturing you driving down some boulevard, in your 280Z, windows rolled down, stereo on 10. Tchk .. tchk .. *BOOM* .. tchk .. tchk .. *BOOM* ...

Or just use the regular speaker outputs, spiff them up in frequency response to your liking, then drive one of those monster amps. Like the ones the kids use in their lowered Hondas with the mag wheels.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Jeez. Feed the unfiltered stereo to an external AMPLIFIER. No more roll-off.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Naaah! It was around a "true" 12 Watts (into 8 Ohms) per channel... quite adequate in a small cab.

Mostly classical in those days... you couldn't get '50's and '60's rock 'n' roll on the radio then. Now you can.

Most radios today have single chip power amplifiers... distortion out the wazoo :-(

I don't know for sure what the OP means by "bass roll off"... maybe tiny speakers. I cut out the original speakers in the Z and put in 6" x 9" ovals.

I'd like to find a "killer signal" for those... really aggravating to stop at a traffic light and feel my car shaking to the beat of some low-rider scum car :-(

...Jim Thompson

  What\'s the difference between a horse\'s ass and Barack Obama?
                            Lipstick!

bass

Huh? Then why is it that we had Wolfman Jack on AFN in Germany?

I think over here he was on XERB in Baja California in the 60's but I guess that didn't travel as far as Taxachusetts.

Just do what some New Yorkers do when they want you to get out of the way because you are tooling around at less than 85mph: Roll down the windows and blow an air horn.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

But what really ices the cake is, rap wasn't invented yet, and silicon wasn't cheaply available in his teenagehood. Germanium baby! Or tubes even, with a vibrator supply.

It's like driving by candlelight or something, so primative ;)

(I know, utterly ignoring the date given, and whenever the 280Z was introduced...)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

way

bass

Saturday nights only, around here.

_1977_ 280Z

...Jim Thompson

  What\'s the difference between a horse\'s ass and Barack Obama?
                            Lipstick!

may

way

off

bass

for

Wow, then we were better off over there. Still remember when he asked the listeners "How's your boogaloo situation these days?"

Ah yes, you had a Dauphine back then.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

But that song didn't come out until the 1980's:

Just running the speaker outputs into a 1k load instead of driving actual 8 ohm speakers will likely give you a flat response to below 20 Hz.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

bass

I found that the really high screeching violins on one of the tracks of the 2001 soundtrack album does a pretty good job. But you have to crank it. Some good horn speakers could really help as well as a couple hundred watts like they have.

Reply to
JosephKK