1981 Delco radio repair

Hello: A Delco radio from a 1981 Corvette came across my work bench. It must be the top of the line for it's time; it is electronic tuned, and auto reverse cassette. Unfortunately, all the stickers for model and serial numbers have fallen off the radio's case. The complaint is hiss, but no tuning, no display, no music. I applied 12Vdc, and the complaint is correct. The display is dark, and only a small hiss in the speakers. I actually repaired Delco car radios back in the late 1970s when I worked for a local service shop while in high school. I have forgotten much about these, but remember that for the most part, Delco radios were reliable, and generally simple to fix. With this radio, I am not sure where to start. A schematic wouyld be helpful, but I do not havethe model, and do not know where to get schematics. Any advice, and assisatnce is appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Reply to
billccm

billccm wrote in news:1179887619.073718.77600 @w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Check the 5V regulator on the ETR board. Also, you need to feed it continuous 12V on the separate two connector lead, on the orange wire.

Reply to
Gary Tait

quoted text -

Hey, Thanks Gary. I thought that might be a separate connector for the power antenna. So I need to apply 12Vdc on both the input socket and separate two conductor connector?

Any sources for a schematic?

Thanks again for your time, Bill

Reply to
billccm

[...]

It may be one of those "Corvette Special" radios as well. I believe quite a few years of 'vettes had those in them. I would look at the power supply for the front display and tuner. It is probably proprietary logic, but it may still a simple defect.

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

billccm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Yes. The orange wire is to power the continuos power from the radio. It comes off the convenience circuit in the vehicle.

Nope. I just play it by ear (so to speak). I have had my hands in a number of the Delco ETR radios from the 1980s (as well as a number of PLL and analog tuned low to mid end aftermarket car stereos), and the are all fundamentally the same.

Reply to
Gary Tait

"Art" wrote in news:q_-dnY6vAa5EHsnbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Tuning comes right from 5V or 12V. VFD displays would have a DC-DC convertor, and I don't think they had them back then. It wasn't till

1985/6/7 or so when they went to VFD for their premium stereos, I think. Before that, they used LED.
Reply to
Gary Tait