Crunching an AC signal

I have a unidirectional AC signal (25MHz square wave, 1V amplitude) that is AC coupled into my circuit and AC coupled to the output. I need a simple way to prevent the signal from passing from input to output. I know I could use a 4066 type analog switch, but I haven't found one the meets my supply, Ron and package type requirements.

Can someone suggest a method of preventing the signal from passing?

My circuit cannot effect the signal when it is not trying to stop it.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David

Could you crispen up the specs a bit?

  1. What sort of isolation do you need in the off state?
  2. What impedance levels are you using?
  3. Is it okay to short the input?
  4. How much on-state loss is acceptable? ('Zero' is not the right answer.)
  5. What are your supplies, and how much power are you willing to spend?
  6. Would a logic solution work?

This could be anything from a diode switch to a NAND gate, depending on your requirements.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

50dB

The circuit is a 1uF input coupling cap. that feeds through a 4066 and then to a 1uF output coupling cap. The problem is that the 4066 Ron is too large. I know I can get these with much lower Ron, but I was looking for something much simpler and cheaper.

Yes, after it passes through the coupling cap.

I like zero. ;-) Twenty ohms series R is about as large as the system can withstand.

Power isn't a big deal. Their is a single 12V rail.

Perhaps. I was thinking of a solution that would attach to the signal and not be in its path. I tried an NPN with the collector tied to the signal and the NPN turned on to crunch the signal, but all that did was center the AC signal at 200mV. I can add series resistance to the signal path to allow the NPN to crunch the AC component, but I was hoping to avoid adding any series resistance.

Thanks for the help. David

Reply to
David

I tossed this search string "low r analog switches" to Google and found many things including a Maxim MAX4736 switch. An L pad made with those could give you better than 70 dB isolation.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller