Danish Butter Cookies

I like eggplant, but if I eat more than 2 bites it makes me queasy. There's something in there that reacts with my chemistry. Lidia Bastianich presses the slices to squeeze out some dark liquid but I never tried it after that treatment.

If you ever go down to Astoria, try Mombar on Steinway street. The chef and owner is an EE from Egypt who cooks in a tajine. The place is covered with mosaic tile inside (including table tops) and out (making it hard to miss) which he did himself. Take a tour of the Steinway piano factory a block away.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

I'm still trying to comprehend "a pleasant flannel-like texture."

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I had one when I was a teenager. I saw the movie when it first came out ;-)

Of course I now have a fancy red blazer with matching gray vest... standard issue when you reach 50 years out of M.I.T. >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Sort of like a kosher dill pickle.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We just bought a huge refrigerator-like drying cabinet for ICs. Is there a reason to keep PC boards dry?

We have had one (and only one so far) board bubble up when it was reflowed.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Like burlap, but less chewy.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I use these, and they come on two sizes. The small ones are $1 at Dollar Tree dollar stores, the large ones are $3 at Save-A-Lot grocery stores.

I also use them to hold my insulin syringes. Some are full of new LCD displays, and others are full of parts.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, the fiberglass absorbs moisture, and can blow out during IR reflow. This can cause bubbles into vias and through hole barrels, and even split the boards. I try to keep them a bit dryer, and if they have sat around for a long time, I bake them at 50, then 75 C for a couple hours, seems to eliminate these problems.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

--
There's another way to cook eggplant so that it doesn't need to be
soaked in salted water in order to keep it from soaking up grease when

It's delicious, and here's the recipe:

Set a rack in your oven on the second step from the top, and turn on
the broiler.

If you don't have a non-stick cookie sheet, line what you have with
aluminum foil, spray it with vegetable oil, and set it aside.

Next, slice an eggplant radially into about 3/8" thick slices, amply
butter one side of each slice with mayonnaise, sprinkle it more than
generously with grated - not shredded - parmesan, and place it, raw
side down, on the cookie sheet.

When the cookie sheet is full, put it in the oven and broil it for 3-5
minutes until the parmesan browns nicely.

When that happens, take the tray out of the oven, let the "cookies"
rest for a few minutes, then flip them over and amply butter the raw
sides with mayonnaise and more than generously sprinkle parmesan over
the raw sides before returning them to the oven.

In three to five minutes they should be done.

>I quarter butternut squash lengthwise and grill it on the barby.  (I
>also like it as a soup.)
>
>                                        ...Jim Thompson
Reply to
John Fields

Sounds good! I do squash regularly on the barby, but haven't tried eggplant. ...Jim Thompson

3/8 inch thick? That's definitely getting into phlegm territory, texture-wise. 1/8 to 3/16 inch, cut on a meat slicer, is the ticket.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA +1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

I peel (since I think most of the foul liquid someone mentioned somewhere in this thread is related to the skin+heat) slice, dot on a bit of olive oil on both sides, set on a non-stick sheet and bake.

20-ish minutes at 350-ish F, flipping around 10 minutes.

My mother used to blister the skin off with a gas flame, which meant that the spongy things absorbed all that foul-skin-scorching liquid and were revolting. Quite a few years before I was even willing to try eating the things again.

Ecnerwal

Hmm... Can't say that I remember the last time I sat down to a nice steaming hot plate of flannel.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Another option is to make either baba ghanoush, or imam bayildi ("the imam fainted").

In either case you don't need the salt-water soak (especially if you choose the smaller, thinner, tenderer Japanese eggplant).

Baba ghanoush made with eggplant which has been properly flame-charred is wonderful... it has a rich, slightly smoky flavor.

Dave Platt

--
Broiling seems to prevent that.

Try it.
Reply to
John Fields

Stop, you're making me drool. I haven't had good baba ganoush in a coon's age. (There use to be a nice Lebanese/ Greek restaurant.. closed for years.) George H.

              AE6EO
George Herold

Your memory is not so good either, eh?

--

Rick
Reply to

Be careful to not bite down on any buttons.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

--- All of the ones I've tried are far crunchier than flannel, from bite to chew to finish.

Since flannel itself doesn't have a flavor, what we're left with to define is texture.

What comes to mind is cream of wheat and finely ground hominy grits.

Not quite the fabric of flannel but, perhaps, the sensation of the travel of its bumps across the tongue...

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

sometime!

Excellent point. Not that i expect to ever eat eggplant again.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk