Where are all the 200c GaN fets?

The GaN semiconductor industry has been promising high temperature GaN fets but I haven't been able to locate any. Has anyone else?

regards, Bob N9NEO

Reply to
Yzordderrex

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:20:57 -0700 (PDT), Yzordderrex Gave us:

Maybe these guys have some offerings...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ok, thanks. I'm actually looking at them and Gan Systems. Seems as though all of the touting 200c & 300c parts has been boasting up to now. There is a lot of research going into these parts so maybe soon. I have talked to s ome people and they are having success running 150c parts at 200c. I not i nvolved with designing for production - good thing.

thanks Bob N9NEO

Reply to
Yzordderrex

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 19:05:36 -0700 (PDT), Yzordderrex Gave us:

handle more than silicon devices does not mean you need to push designs to that point.

You designing for an exposed space application with very poor thermal management capacity?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Other direction :)

Reply to
Yzordderrex

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 13:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Yzordderrex Gave us:

Mining?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Downhole, presumably. A few years ago, I tried convincing a very smart guy at a major oilfield services firm to let us build him a thermoacoustic frid ge for downhole, but apparently there's some lore in that business that say s you shouldn't try active temperature control. (I had the calculations all done, based on the work of the LANL thermoacoustics group.)

It's a pity, because thermoacoustic fridges are a natural fit for downhole work--all metal, no moving parts. You turn on the Chromalox element at one end, and the other end gets cold. (you do have to pull the heat out from th e middle, of course, but that's what the flowing mud is for.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I suspected that it was a "down hole" application. ;-)

Have you looked at SiC? My next project looks like it'll be based on some SiC FETs. I'm not too concerned about abnormal temperatures, though so haven't looked that far.

Reply to
krw

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 17:36:56 -0700 (PDT), Phil Hobbs Gave us:

That would presumably be a lot cooler than the drill head too.

Use Erbium. Heheheheh!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

[There probably isn't actually mud as most instruments aren't used while drilling, so the fluid is oil/gas/water often with corrosive nasties.]

But the whole point of downhole electronics is that it doesn't last too long and needs regular replacement and repair. What's more, the customers are accepting of that.

Keep your goddam fridge outta my well. People gotta eat.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Yessir, your holeyness. ;)