Cycle Test

What is the simplest way for me to perform a power up / down cycle test on a

24 volt device. I need to have it power up for 3 minutes then shut down for 3 minutes and repeat in an endless loop.

I have a 24 volt timer relay, some standard 24 volt relays, But I'm thinking my best bet would be throw a pic up there with a driver chip to drive the 80 ma coil on a relay to cycle it. But before I lay all this out I thought I would ask for some suggestions in case I'm overlooking some more simple.

Richard

Richard

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:25:45 -0500, Richard top-posted:

Cool! It's always a pleasure to hear success stores on these design things. :-)

--
Cheers!
Rich

Hoow close do you have to be to 3 minutes? Simplest thing would be to run 60 Hertz through a 14 bit binary counter, which would get you in the ballpark. Or, use one of the CMOS counters that include an RC oscillator, and get it to within a couple of %. Either way you can use a logic level N channel FET to operate the relay, if you need it.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Thanks, for the suggestions...

I built one real quick last night. I ran a ULN2808 darlington off the parallel port, enabled the freewheeling diode, then ran the output to a relay. I have a timer in a dephi program toggling a bit. Oh, 1 hour fix and a couple cups of coffee and she was working. about 90 cycles so far, since I powered it up.

Power On. Power Off. - Just like the movie, uhmm, think it was Wax On, Wax off.

Richard

Richard

richard,

if you use pic stuff already and ahve a programmer etc. do it like that then when you need a more complex test you can build on it easily..

PIC, (run it RC ) resonator / Xtal + 2 ceramic caps. (if not RC) Transistor. two resistors. regulator or zener to run pic from same 24V supply.

have fun.

Andrew

out

more