Custard Porridge

I recently bought some oats and, every so often, have had a bit of porridge.

This involves guessing relative proportions of milk and oats, beating shit out of the microwave oven until the display works and then giving it some. Of course us engineers might choose to set it on high and use another timing device.

netdate time.is.my.porridge.done

Then.... I found this tin of Birds custard powder in my cupboard. Fuck me, it's still got the same amount in it that it had after I last used it......

I suppose that has something to do with custard requiring preparation whereas mustard and marmite can be spread straight from the jar...... bastards!!!!

Why birds need custard powder is beyond me but I understand the rebranding from Birds Eye because eating things made from birds eyes doesn't sound too appealing. Anyway, it's a traditional recipe so that means Mum probably ate it during the war.

So make one loose bowl of porridge (more milk than normal). While it is hot add a spoonful of custard powder and sugar to taste......

Give it a good stir....

Yummy.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Real custard isn't too hard to make and tastes great. Milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla. The only tricky part is getting the time/temperature thing right, so it's neither runny nor lumpy.

John

On 06/11/2006 the venerable Genome etched in runes:

Wrong, no guessing involved. 2 measures of liquid to 1 of oats, perfect every time. Even better if the liquid is 1/3 soya milk to 2/3 water.

Serve with a little salt.

--
John B

In the Isle of Arran
Scotland
Reply to
John B

Maybe someone should come up with a custard making machine. Pudding (the desert kind, of course) too.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You are meant to be an engineer. What part of mixing up your custard powder in porridge avoids lumps?

"The only tricky part, for the wife, is getting the time/temperature thing right. I like it when she pours it over me in bed with sliced banana".

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Are you trying to be subversive?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I think this forum

might be more suitable for custard in bed protocols

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Half a cup of oats to 1 1/2 cups of water. I use more oats as I prefer thick porridge.

Birds Custard is still very popular here in the UK, where it was invented in 1835. It is sold ready-made in tubs, but it's very easy to make from the powder. I like it with golden syrup suet pudding, apple crumble, etc.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

1 tbsp raisins. Good shake of cinnamon. 1/4 cup quick oats. 1/8 tsp salt. 2 tsp sugar 2/3 cup water.

80 secs at 1200 W Stir and let set. Add milk.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Mmmmmmmmmm....... plum and apple crunmble.......brown sugar sinimon...... wiv custard!!!!!!!! AND OATS.

Arse, life's a strange one.

Someone seems to have used my last baking tray to drain the sump of a car and thrown the bugger away.

I suppose I'll have to piss on the carpet instead......errrr as well

DNA

Reply to
Genome

OK, bastard. Half a cup of oats. One cup of water... and salt.....

OhmeGosh..... that'll be why Arran hasn't got too far on in the world domination stakes.

I'll assume that 'In the Isle of Arran' means you are underground in case of retribution.

DNA

Reply to
Genome