Update Viral Signatures...Often

New Internet Virus Spreads Fast, but Experts Debate Risk

January 19, 2004 Andrew Colley, Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Computer security experts fear a new worm that began spreading rapidly across Australian e-mail networks on Sunday could be a rehearsal for a more concerted attack in coming weeks.

The worm--dubbed Bagle-A--carries an expiry date, possibly indicating more robust versions of the worm could be slated for release soon, said Daniel Zatz, security director for Computer Associates Australia.

While Bagle-A is already successful--responsible for an 80 percent increase in queries to CA's help desk and in virus submissions to rival computer security company Sophos--the current version of the worm contains bugs, Zatz said.

Comparing Bagle to the infamous Sobig virus that flooded global e-mail networks last year, Zatz fears that a more virulent version of new worm could appear soon.

"One of our biggest concern is that if we look back a year ago at the Sobig variants, they all had drop-dead dates, and every time one hit that drop dead date a new variant came out; a new and improved variant of it," Zatz said.

Bagle-A is due to expire Jan. 28, suggesting tuned variations of the worm could appear as early next week.

Bagle-A's creators, like authors of many previous successful worms, have relied on the ignorance and curiosity of e-mail users for the worm's success.

The worm arrives in e-mail inboxes as a message containing few lines of text suggesting the e-mail may be from system administrator, as well as an executable attachment. When the attachment is activated by its receiver the worm then installs a program on the recipient computer that allows the worm to be e-mailed on to other users in the system's local address book.

The worm also attempts to install a backdoor or Trojan on infected machines, listening for activity on port on 6777.

Sean Richmond, support manager with anti-virus software vendor Sophos Australia and New Zealand, said the company was still examining the Trojan to see what else it was capable of.

Given that most corporate email servers block transmission of executable attachments, CA's Zatz believes that home and medium-sized enterprise users are responsible for spreading the new worm.

Another possible factor in the worm's success, Zatz said, was the fact the worm's creators programmed the worm to e-mail itself to handful of popular domains to evade swift detection by dominant Web enterprises such as Hotmail, MSN and a large Russian computer security agency.

Users who suspect their computers may be infected with the virus should look for a file called bbeagle.exe in their Windows System directory. The file disguises itself with Microsoft familiar calculator icon.

Reply to
Baphomet

Whenever I see these things arrive in my Mozilla 1.5 (OS/2) email, I smile seraphically and reflect that no one has ever bothered to write an OS/2 virus.

Cheers,

Phil "OS/2 bigot" Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

snip...snip...snip...

As coincidence (or Murphy) would have it, I just received a Spam with W32.BeagleA@mm worm attached named nvgpmhslfw.exe. Fortunately, Norton snagged it :-)

Reply to
Baphomet

Odd, I thought OS/2 *was* a virus! :-)

I recall in earlier, more innocent times, one of the great advantages of buying OS/2 was that it came on 80-odd floppies, and was a very economical way of getting 80-odd floppies. Incidentally, we still run a legacy system on OS/2.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Thanks.

-A

Spammers are evil, may they be stricken down with plague...

Reply to
Andre

You have been assimilated, obviously.

I don't think it was ever 80-odd--the biggest was Warp Connect, circa

1994. Warp 4 has come on bootable CDs from a very early date.

That legacy system will be the last thing still running in your shop, one of these days. There's a reason ATMs run OS/2.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Rolled with the punches, sadly...

economical

system

Warp 4 came out on floppies as well, I don't recall the CD being bootable, but it's a dim memory now. The box had scores of floppies and one CD in, IIRC, the second distribution. CD's were a revolution! :-)

It runs quite happily, it's only been rebooted after an accidental power outage a couple of times in the last few years, plus when we put Warp Connect on a few months ago so we could actually access it over our LAN.

Stability is sadly under-rated in the world of today. :-(

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I got a warning on this one from McAfee....it appears to be similiar to the Swen virus from last year. Never got the virus but my inbox sure got hammered. Thanks for the heads up!....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

OMG! Another Warp user! So there's TWO of us?? ;-)

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Phil Hobbs wrote: (snip)

Yes there is: IBM courted banks and offered a good discount + all-you-can-eat support, and at that time Gate$ had his eye on capturing the entire MM market, not banks.

Reply to
Michael

And it works, and the banks are wisely leaving well enough alone while it does the job. One of our local big banks had an OS/2 system for their tellers and enquiries desks for years but that has been changed recently. Our one legacy OS/2 Warp application runs happily enough in the corner and causes no grief, so we'll leave that alone till we can't keep it running. But then again we do the same for W2k stuff, so the moral is (or should be) let sleeping dos lie. Or something of that order. I care not about the OS as long as it's runs and is supportable. OS/2 is really only 50% there now.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor