current transformers

Hi everyone. COuld anyone help me with a problem I am having interfacing a current transformer to a PC. I have a 50/5A curent transformer which, via a ballast resistor produces the usuual variable AC Voltage on the secondary. My problem is I need this AC converting to 0 to 2.5V DC to power the PC interface and I am having great trouble coverting it. The normal diodes/bridge rectifier don't seem to work. I suspect this could be to do with losses in the diodes but my electronic know-how doesn't streatch this far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Craig

try this

you will need a negative supply for the opamps, despite the output only going positive. You may need a reverse biased diode across the input of the ADC, 1n914 etc, to stop any -ve volts on powerup

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

What frequency range are we talking about ? What are you doing to convert the output ? What is the input impedance of the PC interface ? A schematic would help ! Post it to "alt.binaries.schematics.electronics"

--
Baron:
Reply to

"Craig" Hi everyone.

** Fuck OFF - Google MORON !!

Fuck, f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck - OFFFFFFFFF

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

dont you mean

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

you need a precision rectifier and op-amp etc.. didn't you ask for this before? use a dual op-amp to for a full wave precision rectifier. in order to get a nice 0 to 2.5 v how ever., you should employ a negative rail supply. DC-DC converter is great for this from a single power source.. or i suppose you could whip up a DC to DC from a a 555 timer to get a - voltage regulated , i've done that before how ever, you will find that a simple single chip charge pump DC-DC dual rail us most likely less parts count. unless you pull the trick i've seen before, use an RS-232 port and have output leg off for - voltage, and one on for

  • voltage. and use a min pic to convey the info via rs-232 serial. just simply use a USB to rs-232 converter ... etc..
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

This topic was discussed in considerable detail last September in a thread titled "Help interfacing Current Transformers to ADC" A Google groups search should give you a fair head start.

Reply to
John Popelish

martin griffith a écrit :

You're hexasperating... And to do so he has to turn his par(i)ty bits to one more digit.

--
Thanks,
Fred.