Crystal load?

buying

don't

I'm quite shocked at what you're saying. Like me you must have worked with monitors but I doubt much with alternative video sources.

Old CRT monitors are very forgiving on line frequency. You may have seen the picture size breath with brightness and perhaps a little with frequency. While the flyback time is fixed by self resonance you mention, the scanning period isn't, and the rate of change of the scanning magnetic field is largely determined by the power supply voltage across inductive coils. You may also remember all the corrective inductors, some designed to saturate earlier than other, and E-W modulation circuits to reduce pin-cushion and other related effects.

In short a monochrome monitor didn't give a jot about the precise frequency, after all they were built to a price and with component tolerances to suit.

In PAL and NTSC systems things became very different, where accuracy is now required to ensure colour lock in the monitor. As a result, because of the relationship between colour subcarrier and line rate, a video source would aim to be few ppm for broadcast and 100 ppm or so for most other applications.

I keep an open mind on whether a CGA card can make a mono monitor die. My instinct suggests that the monitor would have died at nominally the same time regardless of video source quality, especially if all the linearisation and E-W correction was still functioning as normal.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

buying

don't

Pincushion on a mono monitor? How bad were the CRTS in Europe?

That depends n the monitor. The first monitors shipped with the IBM PC would literally burn up without horizontal drive. They were made in Japan, to European specs. That is why we saw that useless switched outlet on the back of the power supplies for so many years.

I personally saw more than one mono monitor smoke after a short while on a Mono drive. Hell, you could monitor the DC current into the monitor and see a 20% or so increase in current on some when you changed the drive. If the monitor was composite input, (Basically a mono TV less the tuner & IF) they could handle the change, but TTL input died almost on schedule.

Linearization? They had a coil in series with the H yoke to shape the flyback pulse. Vertical linearity was a pot and a few other passives.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

little

oscillation

your

provide

this

It is my opinion that you can easily just use the crystal from the Irish or German vendor. For some reason that particular frequency is very standard in Europe and is mass produced by the millions. Very likely to be just fine. The high volume production lowers the price. I doubt that the actual frequency is any better than 50 ppm though, and more than 1000 ppm of frequency error may or may not cause problems.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

8mhz.html>

I generally agree, except that the 8.86723 MHz is no longer mass produced and rarely seen in any current catalogue.

It was a very common frequency though only the 4.433619 and 17.73446 MHz crystals are still available in UK RS and Farnell.

The latter was more commonly used in later colour decoders where the

+/-90degs subcarrier references are conveniently created.
--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd