prevalence of 4 pin crystal chips

Hi Group,

I was ordering parts the other day (well today) and I noticed that there're alot of 4-pin crystal chips out there now... indeed, there seem to be more of these than the normal 2-pin ones for SMT

But 2 of the pins are unused anyway...

I was reading up on it, and it seems that these 4-pin crystals are easier to mount using machines, is this the only reason for their prevalence?

(Searching on Farnell for 32khz crystals)

Thanks

Kelv

Reply to
Kelvin Chu

That's the one. Standard packaging, pick & place, that sort of thing.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Here are my guesses:

  1. The 4 pin results in using a standard SO package.
  2. They use 4 pins because of the weight.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Learn something every day :-)