cruise ships

.

This ship was diesel-electric, when they lose power, they lose maneuverability.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

.

ard

AlwayWrong with yet another nym.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

just looked it up, QE2 is diesel electric and when they put the diesels in they were much more efficient than the steam they replaced

Diesel can be very efficient, doubt steam is much better in ship sized packages, if it were why put diesel on a monster like Emma Maersk? it burns something like 1 million barrels of oil a year

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

In order to get the sort of efficiency you can get from a large diesel, a steam plant has to be *big*, with a lot of heat recovery stuff hanging off it. The plants that cite efficiencies of 40+% are in the many hundreds of megawatt class, sometimes running at supercritical pressures.

There are also maintenance advantages with recip engines, boiler turnrounds are trouble enough on the surface where you can get vehicle access right up to them, doing it in the guts of a ship would be a big deal.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

index.html

I've been dozen times fishing and scuba diving at that island and the ship in the photo is definitely too close and too big to avoid some well known rocks. Either the captain and crew were high or drunk, or they're totally incompetent idiots.

Reply to
asdf

Yup, superheaters and economizers and auxiliaries and monster condensers and stuff. Very complex. But they burn Bunker C, which is about like highway asphalt, not even liquid at room temperature. Reeks of sulfur, too.

John

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

One picture showed it up against rocks next to a Lighthouse no less ;)

Martin Riddle

Not easy to route steam to modern azipod drive systems as well.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

Yes . Te new ones have azipods, and that makes it hard not to use electric.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

Message from Captain to Owners: "Been a slight problem with the cruise, but that island was moving at 20 Knots, I swear!"

At least the Titanic hit a moving ice-burg, hell, this guy managed to run up on a rock that has been there for thousands of years, and is well known! WTF?

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

Late at night, by candle light, Jim Thompson penned this immortal opus:

Good grief, what a dotard. Now in stalking mode to boot. Sad to see a formerly fine mind going to hell in a hand basket.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

..

Maybe they could stop the rotation of the lighthouse lamp to assist in the search for survivors? Assuming of course that it rotates. I've seen some that are just strobe lights.

I'm trying to avoid jumping to conclusions as to what may have happened here. One would think that job is a huge responsibility, and not taken lightly. Also, a complex system overall, and we all know those sometimes fail in stupid catastrophic ways -- easily recognized in hindsight.

Personally, I don't even like cruises. If I'm going to travel half-way around the world, I want to spend time in each place (port) on my own schedule - not tied to the boat's schedule.

Reply to
mpm

It looks like the Rock is still embedded in the Hull.

Martin Riddle

Someone will find a way to blame it on weed.

Reply to
Notably Stationed

I think there were some big steam-electric ships, aircraft carriers if I recall.

John

Reports seem to indicate that they first touched bottom to the SE of the port of Giglio on a northbound track just east of Isola del Giglio. They were well past (N of) the harbor entrance when they decided that things were bad enough that they had to pull in and attempted a hard turn to port. My guess is that they'd taken on enough water by this time that the free surface effect took over (physics always wins) and the turn caused them to heel over to stbd uncontrollably.

The pictures are where it ended up, off a point north of the harbor entrance. The hull tear seen on the port quarter was on the landward side.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I don't know about that, many things are made in China these days and they do have tendency to cut back on material usage!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

lets see, I have a scenario. Think of GPS being over ridden with another signal that puts the tracking slightly off.

Don't you just love those auto pilot modes via GPS.

A good way to stir up havoc world wide.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Yes, and the senior pilot was sleeping, then didn't assume command after he was called to the flight deck. The junior officer was allowed to fly it into the sea. Averaging the inputs is pretty silly. You'd think there'd be an alarm if the inputs were significantly different.

Reply to
krw

sage

..

GPS depends on receiving signals from at least four satellites at the same time. Typically nine are visible, but they go around the world twice a day, so new satellites are moving into view and others moving out of sight all the time.

The system was developed for the armed forces, so presumably one of the constraints on the design was that it would be difficult to spoof.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman