Court authorized wiretaps in the U.S. surged last year

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'Court authorized wiretaps in the U.S. surged last year', on Tue, 3 May 2005:

Of course not, and you know that very well. We DO have *effective* measures for combating and even curing some cancers. Ineffective measures are subject to restrictions on advertising and marketing.

Consumption might not, but much social harm would. Addicts wouldn't be forced to rob people to get money for hits.

Yes. That is exactly what should be done. Just like for alcohol (except the lawsuit option; people are indeed expected to know that over-indulging in alcohol is damaging) and tobacco

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

Hey, that's for us to judge, you old goat! :>)

I started getting AARP mail when I was 50, weird. Now that I'm over 60 it's more appropriate. Last month I got my first senior-citizen discount, a $13 haircut at 10% off, only $11.70 for a custom mowing that I specified: my new don't-comb-it, whatever-it-looks-like-when- I-get-out-of-bed hairdo. My new scheme is to mess-up the hair at various points during the cut, and have snipped off whatever sticks out too severely. It worked like a charm. Right out of bed, no more futzing at the mirror. Pretty good for under $12, but I did leave a $5 tip. You'll be able to see the results in Harvard's spring 2005 DEAS newsletter when it comes out soon.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I just tired of the constant barrage... they're nothing more than insurance peddlers.

I've been taking senior discounts for years. My wife cringes, but, hell... a discount is a discount ;-)

Ask for a twist cut. They take a grouping of your hair, twist in a spiral, and then clip it. It ends up lying down flat (you've seen my "do"). My maintenance is simply to smooth toward the front (the front, naturally... covers the bare spots :) after a shower... nothing else required, not even any "goo".

...Jim Thompson

Its bogus because we can use the *same* argument to justify banning

*anything*.

You name it, anything you like, and I well tell why it causes harm to something.

Do you wish to ban everything? If not, the why chose one over another?

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

The Netherlands is hardly the USA. And they have been cracking down on hard drugs lately, too.

John

Because shooting narcotics into your arm (or legs, and eventually feet, as the veins get trashed) *is* a diminution of public health. The junkie is a member of the public too.

So, the libertarian view is to allow people to harm themselves all they want to. But what about the people who manufacture and sell heroin for a profit? Since they are harming *others* for their own benefit, is that OK too?

The best combination is probably to decriminalize use of hard drugs, but make dealing a capital offense.

John

I'd suggest something along the line of "don't bother others" - people can get drunk all they like, but not in public.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'Court authorized wiretaps in the U.S. surged last year', on Tue, 3 May 2005:

Maybe nothing, IF A BAN IS EFFECTIVE. If it's not, it's a total waste of taxpayers' money.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'Court authorized wiretaps in the U.S. surged last year', on Tue, 3 May 2005:

AIUI, the Democrats are prone to do that themselves, like Old Labour in UK. The Conservatives say New Labour has introduced 157 million (approx.) new taxes without anyone noticing. If they haven't noticed, they had too much money anyway! The Liberal Democrats want to increase income tax for people getting over GBP100k per year. Note, 'getting', not 'earning'!

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

It helps to go around pretending you're an electronics guru.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yeah, Einstein got away with bad hair.

John

In fact alcohol is very similar to heroin in terms of damage and addictiveness, with the big differences that you don't inject alcohol, so no problems acused by dirty needles; and you can buy it legally and openly, so people are less likely to be (directly) brought into contact with crime by it.

Of course, you lot over the water did try to apply the same techniques once. The result of the 'war on alcohol' was similar to that of the 'war on drugs': a massive opportunity for organised crime. Where's Eliot Ness when you need him?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Yup. He "got away" twice.

John

No wonder he was always going on about relative-ity ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

The legalization of drugs issues is a strange one, because in the US, it's been made into a moral and political issue rather than a medical issue.

I certainly wish US lawmakers would take the medical position, so we could do something useful about it. We are never going to have an effect on the supply side, which is the moral/political position: just impose our will on them for their own good. Our supply-side efforts so far have been, in effect, selection pressure (in the darwinian sense), causing only the most dangerous, effective supply organizations to thrive in the absence of competition.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

(This space for rent)
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Electrolysis is the answer.

Fortunately for me, my genes have provided this service already. I was the head model on the right:

I haven't needed or owned a comb in years. For social occasions, I use the sacred hat:

Regards,
  Bob Monsen
Reply to
Bob Monsen

On 3 May 2005 18:03:23 -0700, Winfield Hill wrote in Msg.

This used to work for me until I got married. Maybe it starts working again when the marriage is old enough...

--Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Haude

On the _right_? Dude, you look just like Cybil Shepherd!

Cheers!
Rich
 ------
"Nuke the gay, unborn, baby whales for Jesus."
Reply to
Rich The Newsgroup Wacko

That would be the twice-divorced Albert Einstein, yes? ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, I'll be! It's true!

Cheers!