Controlling a small fuel pump

I have an application where I have 12v dc power to a fuel pump. It's pretty small. It only provides about 80psi. I want to lower the fuel pump pressure by regulating the voltage to the pump. What sort of device or devices would I need to put inline on that circuit to allow me to easily turn the pump up and down?

Will I need to worry about heat dissipation? Heat sinks?

Basically, I need something like a dimmer switch for lights I guess.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

Reply to
chumpy36

First, I think you need to prove to yourself that varying the average voltage to this pump produces the effect you are wanting (lower fuel pressure without damaging the pump). A variable DC bench supply would be handy for this experiment.

If that checks out, you might do a Google search for the key words [buck converter tutorial]. Switching buck converters reduce voltage by turning the full voltage on and off, rapidly, and then averaging those pulses with an LC output filter to produce a low loss DC voltage reduction. Another nice thing about this approach is that it produces more output current than the input current. Pretty high efficiency (up to something like 90%) are possible, and in the case of a motor or other inductive load, no averaging filter may be needed, as the motor may be able to perform this function. There are also integrated circuits made that may do most of this function with very few additional components.

Reply to
John Popelish

[snip]

It won't.

Been there, done that, when I outfitted an after-market A/C to a '67 Toyota, and replaced the mechanical pump with an electric one to clear some space on the side of the block.

The electric pump over-powered the float valve in the carburetor and flooded the engine.

Drove for awhile using a toggle switch to run the pump for a few seconds, then drive until the engine began to stumble ;-)

Ended up adding an inline pressure regulator to force the pump to cycle.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature