Bypass fuel pump relay (Nissan Altima)

My relay failed and I want to bypass it to ensure the pump is working. Will this cause any problems? Why is there BOTH a fuse and relay in this circuit?

Thanks

Reply to
Martik

carneyke

I suppose you know about this car. My one car's fuel pump is always ON. First there is a sort of smoothing regulator then it feeds into another bypass regulator. Over the years I have become intimately familiar with my Nissan Datsun 280Z

gs

Reply to
zekor

"Martik" wrote in news:lROfg.7244$JX1.619@edtnps82:

If the relay is the same as the "main relay" used in Honda products,it probably has a bad solder joint,and can be taken apart and resoldered. I've done it and had no problems since.

See

Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

the relay is used as a switch to carry battery current to the pump from the battery which is controlled by the ignition switch through the relay trigger wire ... you dont have to use a factory relay ... just get a standard SPST relay at 30 amps will do fine .... and use a 20 amp fuse on the B+ constant

12 volt lead ....

as far as wanting to bypass to test it ? find the two biggest wires going to the relay and connect them together .....

regards ....

Will

circuit?

Reply to
bloggybob

yes it will cause a problem. the pump is very capable of generating more pressure than is needed and should blow the fuse. you have fuel regulators that operate the relay, fuses are in line in the event that for lets say the regulator does not shut off it then should cause the pump to bind up enough to blow the fuse. never put in a fuse larger than what belongs in the fuel pump line. the question is, is it your relay that failed? was it burnt contacts,open coil or maybe the fuel regulator failed which is also a set of contacts which can cause erratic operation of your engine when you need the HP!. you can for a moment jump the relay just to listen for the pump on action but do not leave it that way.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

The relay was ok, I was not testing the right terminals.

Turns out the problem is oil leaking into the distributor and contaminating the optics

Reply to
Martik

Turning on the pump won't cause any problem, there's a pressure regulator on the fuel rail that will bypass any excess fuel back to the tank, and the pump itself will also contain a pressure release valve.

Reply to
James Sweet

It wasn't easy, but with a little reading in some Nissan forums problem solved. What a dumb design, rubber seals that wear out and allow oil to contaminate. Hopefully some RV sealant will permanently stop future leaks. It's a $900 distributor!!!

Reply to
Martik

ha, valve cover problems?

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Good reason not to use optics. Use Permatex No-Leak rtv gasket maker.

greg

Reply to
GregS