Motion detection sensor + fuel tank

Hi to all.

I need to implement one motion detection sensor near fuel tank. The only thing that I am worried about is security.

Ok, maybe this would be dumb question for someone but what a heck... The motion detector sensor should prevent that someone comes near fuel tank in time when this tank is not in use. So basically some kind of alarm system. Now, the funny part is that i have to set this sensor as near as possible to the fuel tank. Cca 0.5 to 1.5 meter from tank.

Simplest solution would be to set one pir+mw sensor, or maybe some ultrasonic one. I was thinking also on setting up some infrared solution..

What do you think ?

Reply to
gm

I think you're making a bomb.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

-------------- :-) It's quite tricky to do, i know. But what i dont know is how do they do it on some industry level. There must be some kind of protection in such situations.

Reply to
gm

What's the environment like; clear weather or wind/rain/snow? That will constrain your sensor tech options.

Do you absolutely have to put the sensor right up next to the tank?

Are there controllable access points like a gate or two in a surrounding fence? Are there any other security measures in place? How many avenues of approach are available that you need to watch?

Do you have a clear view of the tank from all sides and angles? Is there plant growth or artificial structures nearby that can block the view?

How near is "near"? IOW how close to the tank does a person, animal, or vehicle have to get to the tank before it's a potential problem?

Does it matter how fast they're approaching?

Is there reliable electrical power available or will this be a battery/RF link setup?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

------------- The tank is located on the gas station and the gas station is cca 50 miles from nearest city. It's not 24 / 7 station ant this is main problem. Tank is underground and it's standard but old gas station. I can not use long range motion detection sensor because fence is near tank and people are walking near this fence ( this is normal because there is small shop near by / trespassers and so on). Shortly, costumer wants some kind of alarm system that will alert him if someone comes near the tank outside of the work time. In my own opinion, better solution would be to set some guard or dog :-)

Reply to
gm