Composite to VGA converter Circuit

Like I said in one of the previous posts, some of the PC TV tuners still use notch filters to seperate luminance and chrominance ! For HDTV, it would seem to almost be advantagous for them to include poor analog broadcast circuitry. If the customers get very dissapointed whenever they have to tune to an analog channel, it only hastens the transition to 100% digital. Not that I'm opposed to that. Like you said, MPEG-2 might not be perfect, but I think it's pretty good, especially for a 10-20 Mbps stream. Consider that raw NTSC is like 166 Mbps, and raw HDTV (without MPEG-2) would be in the Gbps range.

I'm an EE, and I'm still afraid of some of the analog video circuits!

Perhaps not trimpots, but hsync PLL's with analog timebase correction, glass delay-line analog comb filters, and the like certainly scare me. For me (and most of the coming generation of EE's), it's more likely that we've been taught about various digital algorithms, VHDL, DSP, sampling, etc, than it is that we've had rigorous/advanced analog design courses. We get a couple basic circuit analayis and transistor analysis courses, sure, but that wouldn't be nearly enough to prepare us to process any *useful* signal using analog devices. So the trend might continue to move away from analog processing (in our generation). Either that, or the few who are well-trained with analog processing will get very nice paychecks.

Sean

Reply to
sp_mclaugh
[snip]

YES !-)

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (9 Dec 2006 11:09:35 -0800) it happened sp snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

I think we must set priorities somewhere. We should not forget industry needs to sell. We should also not forget we create a 'need', we paint an image, the consumer, who often has no clue, is seduced to buy. The craziness we see with golden mains outlets described here recently shows you can make believe people anything.

So is it to the government to set rules that protect against snake oil? Or just the market forces will do it?

Funny thing I did read that now mpeg, with less bandwidth, allows for many more channels, some German university did some research how many hours people watched TV when i twas still analog, and then how many hours when they had all these digital channels with digital program guides. They found people watched _less_ TV now it was digital, because now people made a choice. This is significant because the tech was selling to advertisers!!! So the people now watch less adds!. People get selective, and the youth wanted internet and not TV IIRC. nevertheless we now see DVB-S2 start in Europe (mpeg4 is on several stations now) with _more_channels with _less_quality, but in higher resolution..... I do not know where it will stabilise, but big LCD TV need to sell..... The old TV system lasted 50 years or so? The DVB-S digital system now 8 and is being replaced... settop boxes and encryption systems change every year. How much is a consumer willing to spend for something that is 'outdated' in 1 or

2 years?

So maybe it is a government task to stabilise this wild electronics hunt for sales a bit, and make sure _real_ quality data is made available (some seal?). Consumer organisations are sometimes bought,. sometimes have no clue, maybe market forces alone is not enough.

Maybe we will get videophiles with field emision displays, uncompressed digital

10x oversampled streams on tera byte harddisks. This is no illusion, I have started storing some music CDs in wave format on the PC, after all what is 700MB these days.... Sounds much better then mp3 (if you use a decent soundcard).
Reply to
Jan Panteltje