Completely confused aerospace student- simple circuits question

Hi,

I am aerodynamics student and I am designing a low-observable aircraft. I am installing sheets of electroluminescent sheet which stop the aircraft being seen as a silhouette against the light colored sky.

I have found a material that emits blue light when a voltage is applied in one direction, and red light when that voltage is reversed. The blue will be useful against the daytime sky, and red against the sky at dawn or dusk. However, I do not want both at the same time, as would occur with a high frequency AC supply.

The only circuit theory I know is very simple (basically how resistors and capacitors work).

I think to allow just a positive or just a negative voltage I would need to switch between two diodes. Then use capacitors to keep a smooth sine wave?

Also, It would be nice if I could mix the two colours, for example have two pulses of blue then one pulse of red to make a light purple colour. The freqency of a similar system I have read about uses a frequency of 3700 Hz.

Im not expecting anyone to design a circuit for me, but if anyone could perhaps give me some clues or direct me to a useful tutorial I would really apprecite it.

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam Chapman

You dont need diodes or filtering, just switch the direction of the current fast enough for the human eye to blend the colors (100 times a second should do fine). Assuming you are using some small microcontroller for the overall operation, an h-bridge driver chip for the rated voltage should be all you need for the hardware interface.

By the way, where can I get some of this material? It could make a nice xmas display.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

On a sunny day (3 Dec 2006 07:06:03 -0800) it happened "Adam Chapman" wrote in :

What voltage, what current, what impedance, what weight is allowed, what power is available, what money is available in your purse, what country will you drop the bombs, what agency do you work for, what time do you have (left), hell such a tutorial, have you considered letting an EE design it and go munch a pizza? I do for example not attempt to design a plane, although well, you have heard of A380 (problems) some with no clue do electronics (wiring) it seems.... so wtf do I care, because now I will monitor the sky for 3700 Hz in the chroma from the aircam. So you f*cked up you secret plane cloaking too by posting here.

Agent P.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tell us more about your light emitting material. Most of us work with light-emitting diodes which are III/V composite semiconductors, like Galium Arsenide and a small host of others.

Electro-luminescent panels exist which use funny inorganc light emitters - zinc sulphide comes to mind - while the organic chemists have recently developed some organic light-emitting diode materials whcih seem to be available in prototype quantities.

The inorganic electroluminescent panels I looked at did seem to be picky about AC excitation at a fairly restricted band of frequencies, but it is about thirty years since I had to think about them, so I can't say if this was general problem.

Most of the extended light sources you see (behind the LCD screen of a lap-top) are cold-cathode gas-discharges, but they don't change colour with the polarity of excitation.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Sydney at the moment)
Reply to

So, Jan, tell me - is your name pronounced like in English, like, "Dzhaan", or like in European, like, "Yawn"?

The only Dutch guy I've ever actually met was named "Albert". :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

On a sunny day (Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:41:30 GMT) it happened "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie" wrote in :

'Albert' could be one of the Albert Hein brothers (one is dead), they created a huge supermarket chain (AH). Piet Hein was a Dutch captain of a ship that stole the gold from the Spanish, he is famous, there is a song about him. I am not sure what 'European' language is, it is the 'a' as in pawn in American. And the J as in jupiter. And the N as in Norway. Now try all three in a row. It is _not_ the 'a' as in and. But if it is to difficult just use Q.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, this guy's name was "Albertus VanDerSchans", so he's probably not related to the Heins; I thought Piet Hein was the guy who popularized the Soma Cube. :-)

And in HS Latin class, "Jupiter" was pronounced "Iuppiter", so I'm still confused. ?%-/

Speaking of the 'Q', I saw a cameo on some TeeVee show recently, of some guy who looked just like John Delancie, but old.

Eek! =:-O

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

On a sunny day (Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:34:26 GMT) it happened "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie" wrote in :

Sounds like a typical Dutch name, but I dunno this person.

I looked it up, yes seems Piet Hein was a mathematician too:-) But I did mean this one, unfortunately it is all in Dutch, but it has a picture:-)

Maybe you can run that through a translator site.

How about 'J' as in Jolly Jumper then ?:-)

Yes that is the one. BBC is retransmitting the original startreks, Sunday morning IIRC. I have recorded one. What came later got worse and worse (next generation, etc). The original still had me glued to the screen! Kirk is a very facinating actor, Spock OK too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Would a double-pole-double-throw switch work, with a DC power supply?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Ah!!!!!!!!!

I believe I've discovered the problem!

I grew up in Minnesota, where "A t'ousin Svedes ran t'roo da veeds, chased by vun Norvegian."

"Did you hire the new guy?" "Yes." "What was his background?" "He said he just got out of Yale." "Excellent! Now, what was his name again?" "Yim Yackson."

(I think I'm mostly Kraut, so I was born confused...)

They're showing ST:TOS, one at a time, at 12:00 midnight, PST, Sunday Night/Monday Morning[1], and last night was part 2 of that Captain Pike to Telos 4 thing - was that the one that that whole 76/77 episodes thing came from?

After the kind of drugs I've taken, and the new age self-awareness schtuff and all that, I think it'd be fun to use my own understanging of the powers of illusion to just walk through the Telosians, and rescue the girl.

I mean, come on! Even in the 1970's, they didn't figure that 400 years from now, people would have figured out plastic surgery? "Come with me, Weena - we've got the blueprint!"

But, that would kinda spoil the point of the episode, I guess.

Has anybody noticed movies on things smaller than Star Trek "tapes"?

Whoo-ee! How time flies when you're having fun!

Oh, yeah, upon proofreading, I realized that I've just seen William Shatner on some late nite talk show, and he was surprisingly personable. I think he finally figured out that he's been spoofing himself for all of these years. He mentioned some kind of barbecue for the whole family, and he started a fire trying to fry a turkey or something, and all of the children were shocked. Shocked, I tell you! "Well, I'm Captain Kirk!", he said, with a look of either complete innocence, or the knowing that he's already a gag. ;-) ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Adam Chapman wrote: > Hi, >

WOW, a Romulan cloaking device ! COOL

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

On a sunny day (Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:50:17 GMT) it happened "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie" wrote in :

It is late, I need some sleep, but have you seen this one: Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning

I can recommend it, it is absolutely homemade and fun, shocking even. For English there is a subtitled version.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Only if the Romulans are flying at low altitudes on Earth... ;-)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The sad part is, the militaries of the world have had cloaking for decades. They used to call it "camouflage".

There's less actual bending of light than basic sleight-of-hand: misdirection and deception. A little smoke don't hurt, but mirrors aren't really worth the effort. ;-)

People are disgustingly easy to fool. Bwa, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Good point! Cheaper just to paint all those F-16s light blue then, eh?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Of course, this will make the aircraft easily detectable thanks to the EM this scheme will produce. Also, el panels can't take heat very well. Have you considered grayish-pink paint?

Reply to
miso

I do have a way of making heat conducting transparent radar absorbing material, but I'd rather not go into that right now

Reply to
Adam Chapman

** Bollocks !!

Bit late for April Fools jokes - isn't it ?

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well, pretending this is a serious question, it depends on what their application is, like everything else.

Generally, unless they're special night mission aircraft, the underbelly is flat white. If you're gling to be flying over water, then light blue would probably be just right - you'd have to ask the Navy and the "Blue Angels". For desert, you paint the top of the airplane desert sand, and for jungle, you paint them jungle camo. For cities, it doesn't really matter, because if you're already in that deep, who cares? Dispense the payload, and get the hell out of there!

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

It's trivial.

Buy 144[1] individual servings of microwave popcorn.

  1. Open them up, throw away the popcorn and other additives.

  1. Wash the reluctors.

  2. Paste the reluctors in a mosaic onto the skin of the aircraft.

  1. Voila! Rader invisibility!

Last Millennium, they called this "RAM (Radar Absorbent Material)" paint. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

[1] or however many it takes to cover your airplane with reluctors.
Reply to
Rich Grise