A simple question

Hi all, Just a simple question, I discussed with many people and got different analysis. Just want comments from you guys.

Consider a 2 input NAND gate. Output is fedback to one input. Second input is given sequence ---> 0 1 1 1 1.......

What will be output ?

Some say it will be clock havind pulsewidth of propagation delay.

While some say that it will get saturated to a constant 1.

Please give your opinion.

Regards, Ved

Reply to
Ved

My opinion is that the problem is not answerable given the above information.

When the second input is 0, the output is clearly, 1.

But when the second input is 1, the other input and output become an inverter with its output tied back to its input. And that has two distinct possibilities, depending on the exact transfer function (gain and phase shift versus frequency) of that inverter. If the phase shift does not approach 180 degrees (not counting the initial 180 degrees caused by inversion) by the frequency where the gain falls below 1, the output will settle, eventually, to some intermediate value between 1 and 0 (a stable negative feedback controlled bias situation).

But if, at the frequency where the gain falls to 1, if the additional phase shift is 180 degrees or more, the output will oscillate in some wave shape between a sine wave and a square wave. The exact wave depends on the exact gain and phase frequency response curves.

Simple questions often do not have simple answers. Such is life.

Reply to
John Popelish

Adding a delay into that 'feedback' made a real nice 'gated oscillator' in a project I was part of some years ago. Count the pulses to turn the oscillator off after a specific count. It was a line rate blanking / DC restore subsystem of a film to video scanner that worked regardless of the sweep rate.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

With a NAND gate both inputs must be '1' to get an O/P '0' so either input at '0' will force O/P '1', feeding the O/P back to one of the inputs while the other is held high will very likely force it into its linear range.

Reply to
ian field

Try it with a triple buffered CMOS gate.

Reply to
John Popelish

Classic TTL and ECL would do that. Most cmos parts, with multiple lag stages and tons of gain, will oscillate.

John

The purely "mathematical" answer is that it will oscillate.

& ~& 1: 0 x -> 0 => x = 1 0 1 -> 0 => x = 1 2: 1 1 -> 1 => x = 0 1 0 -> 0 => x = 1 3: 1 1 -> 1 => x = 0 ...

It will oscillate and the propagation delay determines the pulsewidth.

In really, I suppose, if the delay is very short then it might not oscillate at all because of capacitance. Either that or it will average out to about

1/2 the voltage which will either settle into some limit or be unstable.
Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Normally what will happen in most cases, the output should settle at some mid point. It may even oscillate a bit if there is any hysteresis with some internal capacitance in the right place. These factors are usually what you call undefined and really isn't a good idea to build on.

Just my opinion..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to