So much for "free" health care for all....

So much for "free" health care for all....

Note the £3000 per month she was being CHARGED for her old folks home "room".

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep the change.

One of the things that disturbs me about 'politics' are those who invent slogans, euphemisms, or down right lies to 'fool' people into thinking the 'debate' is about one thing when the unvarnished truth is it's something else. Presumably because they fear what people would think should they figure out what the 'real issue' is.

To wit, and as the cliche goes, there's no such thing as a 'free lunch' and the same goes for "free healthcare." The debate is about who pays for it and how, including the ramifications.

Another one I heard recently was a gay marriage proponent arguing that "no, no, no, we are not asking to 'change' the definition of marriage, we are 'adding to it'."

Oh for Pete's sake, regardless of where you stand on the matter "adding" to something *is* a blooming "change."

Reply to
flipper

I don't find that to be an 'excuse' but simply a statement of how widespread the abuse is.

I said regardless of one's opinion and being 'for' or 'against' isn't an excuse either.

You left out the 'reason' why 'Religion' gives a tinker's dam one way or the other: biology.

Consorting heterosexuals have a high proclivity for producing offspring and that results in a bevy of moral/social implications.

Legitimate concerns.

Why should a company get 'stuck' with providing for hubby, wife, and kids?

Why should a company get 'stuck' with providing for Harry and Herman or Thelma and Louise?

Why don't we all just say we're 'married' to Bill Gates and let him pay for everything?

Reply to
flipper
[snip]

Sno-o-o-o-ort! Works for me ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Just like everybody knows that no means yes Just like glasses come free on the NHS

(from Becoming More Like Alfie by The Divine Comedy)

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I thought you might like it ;)

Would probably have to be a 'shotgun wedding' but since most of us can righteously claim to have been 'screwed' by a Microsoft product at one time or another we have plenty of grounds to insist upon it.

Now, I'm not claiming that's the best argument but it's just as good as an embarrassingly large amount of drivel that passes for 'serious debate' these days.

Oh, speaking of which, we can say we're "not changing" anything, just "adding" to it.

Reply to
flipper

Does your health insurance cover you for accomadation ?

Graham

due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Trust Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson to confuse the cost of a private nursing home with National Health Service care.

=A33000 per month is pretty much what my mother's care costs in Australia. My father left her well-provided for, so my youngest brother was free to put her into the best old people's home in the area. There were plenty of other, cheaper options available where the care was less impressive, as well as couple of more expensive places that cater extravagantly for the very rich and their elderly relatives.

England offers the same kind of range of accomodation. The care available for the indigient elderly is spartan, and relatives tend to chip in to pay for something better if they can.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Since marriage used to be between whoever wanted to get married, until Xtians decided they didn't like that any more, it's not being added to at all. It's simply being repaired.

Reply to
Ouroboros Rex

At 97 years old?

I'll take it!

Reply to
Ouroboros Rex

Your premise is demonstrably false as marriage existed long before there were 'Xtians'.

Setting aside the false premise, if your 'intent' is to 'repair' it then 'repair' it to the state you claimed and, in particular, one in which the government has no role in definition nor in mandating 'benefits and 'privileges'.

Reply to
flipper

That doesn't actually falsify my point.

Note obvious acknowledgement that there was marriage first.

Tell it to the Xtians.

Reply to
Ouroboros Rex