Collecting E-mails for Legal Deposition

I'm an expert witness in a patent infringement case and need to produce copies of all the E-mail to and from my client from 2000 to the present time.

I have all the E-mails in folders by year and month. (Eudora v7.1.0.9)

What is the best way to extract just the client E-mail and collect into a single text file? There's only ~2400 of them :-)

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

A minor quibble: you are not the traditional expert witness (some impartial college prof or P.E. called in for his expert and independent opinion) but a percipient witness with expertise, because you have seen and heard what the party to the suit -- your client -- has written and said. You are like the primary physician called in to testify to the surgeon's malpractice case.

I would find someone to write you a script.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

You live in a dream world if you think there's such a thing as an impartial expert witness. Each side hires their own.

Yup. Sounds like the solution. ...Jim Thompson

Eudora stores the files in human-readable .mbx files.

It would probably take about a day to do that manually (and might result in the odd error). The script idea would work okay.

Another method would be to create a mailbox just for the target files and filter the messages (setting up an appropriate filter function and using Special->Filter Messages in Eudora) to that mailbox. Inspect, then select all and print out all the messages to a PDF or whatever.

Whatever method you use, be sure to check that you've got them all and no extras-- it's VERY easy to miss ones that were sent from a different computer or whatever depending on what criteria you are using to do the selection.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yep. It dawned on me to use a filter, with ID criteria and a date range, and filter them into a new mailbox _folder_, which allowed me to make it a text file... 228,126 lines... I hope the attorneys enjoy it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

They're going to pick at your filter methodology, to make sure they have everything that could possibly be related.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Do the opposition's attornys get a printed copy? ;~) Art

Reply to
Artemus

Maybe, but the request is for E-mails between me and client, so I filtered on Any Header = client name, and date before... ...Jim Thompson

message

They get a text file, to print, if they want ;-) ...Jim Thompson

in message

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Law firms prefer eDiscovery now. They'll prop up a few paralegals and cheap JDs in front of a screen to flag significant documents.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Oh, they'll love it. More documents means more work means more fees.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Sort by name, select the emails, print them to a PDF and concatenate the PDFs into a single file (or just ZIP them together).

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

If you are remotely involved in the case, you are not impartial, so spamtrap1888 is on the money.

I would migrate the mail to a more modern program (Thunderbird) and then you can simply search or write rules to get the desired email.

Saying you use Eudora is like saying you use a walkman.

Reply to
miso

On a sunny day (Fri, 06 Jul 2012 18:51:06 -0700) it happened miso wrote in :

I have been using pine since it was invented :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Eudora's mailbox files are in plain text (anything with an .mbx extension). The start and end of each message is clear. You can have your son write a program to parse out the relevent emails.

Reply to
qrk

I just dumped headers and all, anything with @clientname.com... let the lawyuhs decipher it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I would write a program that read the source(s) in date order and then copied/wrote desired results to separate file. Even if it took 3-4 hours to write and debug, time/effort spent would make for a winner.

Reply to
Robert Baer