Inductive digital isolator

Hi all, The reason for this post is that I want to safeguard my idea from any patenting attempts. Releasing the details to the public domain should do the trick, so here they are:

Imagine a transformer built from two coils routed on a PCB on two different layers (top and bottom for example). The thickness of the PCB provides the isolation required. Transmission is performed by shorting one coil, forming a closed loop - one end is grounded, the other connected to a microcontroller pin. The micro grounds the pin and that's one state. When the micro puts the pin in high impedance, the other state is transmitted. A micro on the other side measures the inductance of the other (coupled) coil. By observing a variation in inductance it can tell if the coil on the other side is shorted or not.

Should anyone be interested, I have it implemented. We do this on Microchip's microcontrollers and measure the inductance with the CTMU hardware peripheral. Works at 80kbps full-duplex on a PIC24F. I have written an application note and posted it on my company website. We call the thing "Freesolator", since it requires almost no components (one resistor, once you have CTMU on board). We have demo boards and can make the source code available. See

Hope you don't find this post too spammy. I couldn't think of a better method of undeniable disclosure.

Cheers, Andrzej Ekiert

Reply to
Andrzej Ekiert

Looks like you have re-invented the inductive proximity sensor :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Dnia 25-09-2012 o 00:17:39 Joerg napisa=C5=82(= a):

Well, there were other inspirations as well. But the application area ma= y =

also matter - I don't think this was a known method for data transmissio= n, =

so it might have been patentable. Now it surely isn't ;-)

ae

Reply to
Andrzej Ekiert

My method as well... keep it _art_, but _privately_ documented.

I'm expert witness in a case right now where a heathen patented a block diagram... science fiction, then is suing now that technology has caught up with fiction :-( ...Jim Thompson

you're too late! way to late.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

"Andrzej Ekiert" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jabba.lan:

Use an ethernet isolation transformer, they come in very small footprints and are made for the purpose (datatransmission with isolated in/out).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Not nearly as much isolation as FR-4, though -- certainly not reinforced. With that kind of isolation, you can drive IGBTs on any supply with impugnity.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

You could put an LED on one side of the board and a photodiode on the other. Punch a hole in any power/ground planes to let the light through the FR4.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The only thing that matters in the patent is the "claims" section.

Incidentally, if you don't want someone to patent an idea but rather have it open source, just patent it yourself and don't enforce the patent. There is no better prior art than a patent with that prior art.

Reply to
miso

To the best of my knowledge, one cannot patent a block diagram - not even as a design patent. And design patents are essentially worthless since one minor aspect can be changed to generate a new design patent. Crudely put, the shape of a paper clip cannot be patented in a way to protect its use; change the wiggle or bend here to make a different design and thus create competition that cannot be negated by "interference".

Reply to
Robert Baer

But they did. Your patent office at its finest.

We go to court Nov 5 ...Jim Thompson

It might well be the best way to stop someone else patenting it.

But it would not be a good way to let other people use it who might want to. The mere fact that it is patented would put off most people I think. What about explicitly releasing it into the public domain? Although this seems to be discouraged for some reason. A better way might be to use one of the "open hardware" sites that are springing up.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Dnia 25-09-2012 o 03:39:18 Sjouke Burry napisa=C5=82(a):

The whole point of this method is not to use any components one needs to= =

buy. You only pay for circa 3cm2 of PCB space, so building an isolated =

data link between two microcontrollers is almost free.

Regards, Andrzej

Reply to
Andrzej Ekiert

Or just use the built in magnetometer on your iPad.

(lots of Android devices too)

Reply to
BubbleSorter

Dnia 25-09-2012 o 06:15:52 miso napisa=C5=82(a):

.

I did talk to a patent lawyer to estimate costs involved in having =

something patented internationally. A costly hobby I would say. And if i= t =

comes to court, then a small company cannot afford to defend.

My opinion on patents is that the whole purpose of this system has been = =

circumvented in the recent decades. Patents now do not protect individua= l =

inventors. They are only useful to corporations that already have money = =

and lawyers. Also, the patent databases are polluted with useless or =

obvious "inventions". Worse - anything you do, you may fall into a paten= t =

trap. I would like to see this whole system thrown to trash.

Regards, Andrzej

Reply to
Andrzej Ekiert

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:30:17 +0200) it happened "Andrzej Ekiert" wrote in :

Not new I think, you could do it capacitively too, 2 close PCB layers,

1 pull down resistor NO CURRENT

PIC out--- | |------ PIC in | R | ///

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Before you burn all your assets, have a look at Analog Devices ADUM -series devices.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

You can't patent a block diagram, per se, and it would be silly to do so. You certainly can use a block diagram in the teachings. The claims section is text, so no, a block diagram won't do there, either. Why would you want to?

Depends on what it is. Design patents certainly are worthwhile in some circumstances, like the shape of the iPhone.

Of course, it would be stupid to file a design patent when the function needs protection.

Reply to
krw

There are places to publish such things that are far cheaper than a patent.

See above.

Reply to
krw

They're certainly nice but they cost like they have part numbers starting with "LTC".

Reply to
krw