cold enough

I always thought that this would be a way to clean sewers of rat populations, rather than poisons. Just flood the sewers with N2.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

ISTR that CO2 is 'safer' - the body notices teh excess CO2 and tells you you suffocate - and run.

If you breathe N2, you produce no CO2 and everything seems fine. You just fall.

But not everyone seems to react the same.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Nah. There isn't enough N2 to do that. The atmosphere is already

70% N2, and at ordinary temperatures it would float.

Now, if you had a tank truck or so full of SF6...

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Have any of you ever heard of "altitude sickness"?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I was in those dangerous science classes last millennium, they used acetone.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Low partial pressure of oxygen" should replace "Low oxygen". Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

Regarding CO2, true up to a point. Actually, it takes quite a few seconds for your body to deplete the blood's supply of oxygen. While that's happening, you're very aware of the CO2. But how often do people use concentrated CO2? CO2-related deaths are almost always from breathing the air in a closed space until the O2 is depleted, and then the death is due to anoxia, not CO2. As I said before, small amounts of CO2 are agonizing (put a plastic bag over your head for a couple of minutes to verify :-). You die miserably in CO2, but only if you are prevented physically from escaping.

Many, many entities have to use huge quantities of liquid N2, liquid He, and such. When the gases escape uncontrolled into an enclosed space quickly enough to displace O2, they are _deadly_, simply because their effects are imperceptible. You die in these gases because you don't realize you have no oxygen, and have no compulsion to escape.

Deaths have occurred in N2-flooded rooms with doors open, simply because the victims didn't know they needed to get out. I haven't heard of that happening with CO2.

jp

Reply to
John Perry

While sampling sparkling wines? ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

Ah well, just an Idea!

Beautiful sunset here, sort just made the day,

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

In article , Deefoo wrote: [...]

This may be true but I've found that most parts work below -40F without trouble.

For that matter, I can't remember the last failure I've seen in -35C environmental testing.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith