Code: Underground cables in yard

A few years ago I read an article on distributed lighting systems that used a magnetron to power specially designed 'hollow' florescent bulbs - burying a waveguide might not be covered by any regs!

Reply to
ian field

Hello Jim,

Yes, although out here that would really be a boutique part. Problem though, I have never seen any that come as a flood lamp or a spot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe you just need to transmit RF to your light pole ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Yes! 13.56MHz ISM allows for pretty brawny power levels.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Jim,

I've used those, where you lean on it with gusto and let off a jiujitsu yell. But it only allows shallow bends and it does damage the galvanizing a bit.

On really tight bends I used to fill pipe with sand to prevent it from becoming too oval.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Jim,

Yes, I'd do that in any case because that's how grandpa taught me to lay pipe and cabling. In those days they didn't have cinder block and one would place bricks, lengthwise along the sides and then offset on top.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

If you use the right size bender it's not a problem. (Sounds even like you were bending EMT instead of rigid.)

Notice the lights on my "outdoor kitchen", I bent those "poles" from conduit, had them electrostatically paint coated, then screwed on outdoor fixtures that were designed to be used as yard lights.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

No, it was da big stuff.

Hats off, great job. To me they sure looked like some fancy Italian designer lamps, in the price range where they'd offer a payment plan at the hardware store.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'm not that well-off ;-)

I did all the work on that thing except the stuccoing... I'm just no good at troweling anything and having it look good :-(

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Also learned that from grandpa as a kid, maybe around 12 years old. It was fun since that's the only chance you can legally smack a trowel full of stuff at a wall.

This was in Europe and I don't do that here anymore. I just don't believe stucco on a wood frame structure is a good idea. In AZ it's probably ok but not here where winters are very humid. One crack and a tear in the Tyvek underneath can be a perfect recipe for rot and termites.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Just bury some outdoor romex a few inches deep and if you decide to move it will tear out of the ground much easier. Short of seismic disturbances, you should be ok for a few decades.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Stouffer

you underestimate the scale Rich, more like 2 minutes 60,000 times. but thems the rules. Which is why Im not a sparky.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

It figures. It is hearsay, not code (I went thru the wiring regs last night, it aint in there).

Thats a beautiful area of the country. Except right now, when its freezing cold. Next time you come to NZ, look me up and I'll show you around my neck of the woods. Offer applies to all SED participants. Even Phil.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

You do know what "Spetic Tank" is rhyming slang for, dont you? It segues into "Seppo" down this end of the globe.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

[snip]

No I don't recognize what you are driving at. What is "Seppo"?

...Jim Thompson

I came up with some ideas, nothing more than amusing ones tho im afraid ...

light pipe, I gues that isnt in the code thermic lance, no idea if it works on rock but might be fun, or a very high powered co2 laser or a long diamond core drill get some moles and hope they will eventually burrow under the rocks. mine a tunnel under the rocks if its real windy maybe wind powered lamps, or gas powered, even nuclear powered ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Am I correct in ass-u-me-ing that an overhead line is out of the question?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Then cover it with some of those semicylindrical clay tiles, and integrate it into the landscape. :-)

Good Luck! RIch

Reply to
Rich Grise

Get yourself a 35W Metal Halide - they're even more efficient than compact fluorescent, and because the bright region is small, they can be focused to a spot or floodlight pattern. You can also get more powerful versions but

35W is actually pretty bright due to the efficiency. They don't like being turned on and off frequently and they take a few minutes to come up to brightness. The bulbs and high voltage starters are expensive but they come up on e-bay cheaply from time to time. You'll need mains power, however, unless you get the ones meant for cars which are hideously expensive AFAIK.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Hi Terry,

Ah, good to know. Hmm... I see that Thermocell does have a registered plumber, but apparently not a registered electrician -- could be the problem...

I've also been told that installing roof-mounted TV antennas is something very few people choose to do themselves in NZ, leaving it instead to a professional installer. Here in the US, at least before cable TV largely took over, mounting your own log-periodic antenna almost seemed like a rite of passage! Even today, I'd guess that at least 1/4 of people who purchase a satellite system install their own dishes.

Will do, thanks!

How about Boki? He's probably the closest. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad