Code: Underground cables in yard

Hello Folks,

In the code (NEC) it says that 120V cables in PVC conduit must be buried

18" (or 12" with a GFCI which I could provide) whereas 6" is allowed in rigid metal. However, I have seen EMT pipes that were in the ground for a long time and that sight was not pretty. Basically a pile of rust where I could crumple some parts with my bare hands, exposing the wires inside. Those didn't look pretty either since water had seeped in. So I don't quite get the logic behind this.

Question: What can we do here in our yard where the ground contains bolders the size of a car and you simply can't trench any deeper than a few inches? I want to avoid a solution that is going to be flagged by an inspector should we ever sell.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Have you actually gone into town and talked to the permit department. You do know that you need a permit don't you ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I think you're assuming there was some logic present in the first instance !

When it comes to utilities and codes, they seem to make it up as they go along.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If your inspectors are anything like the nut cases we have around here, they'd make you jack hammer out the bolders to get the required depth. If it were me I'd do it off permit, bury in PVC conduit as deep as I could get it with no metal and simply not tell anybody. Unless you are going to sell in a week or two, who the hell would ever know? Is a home inspector or escrow agent going to dig it up 10 years from now? Not likely. With the exception of this, just be sure all of the wiring, grounding, etc. is to code and nobody is likely to notice or care.

Reply to
Bob Eld

After having tilled the area where underground cables are, I appreciate it that it is buried deeply enough. I would not violate that code, if any kind of solution was available (maybe overhead?).

I would call your city as well as talk to some contractors, they probably have some suitable equipment, even for boulders.

Ignoramus17238

Hello Jim,

For a yard lantern?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Overhead could be done but would look yucky.

With these kinds of bolders there are only two options:

Blasting. That's how they did the pool and it was the reason why it had to be built before the house was built. Not a chance anymore.

Grinding. I could probably buy 50-100 masonry disks and have at it for a few days. After that I guess none of our neighbors will like us anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Graham,

That's the impression I also got when studying the plumbing code, regarding venting. Even the Romans would have slapped their foreheads about some of that stuff.

Thick PVC is so much stronger than those wimpy metal pipes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Bob,

These bolders are pretty much un-jack-hammerable. Tried it when I built the fence (with permit, BTW). There was one area where I had to take a couple inches off a rock to get a straight run. Took me three hours and two masonry disks.

Well, maybe I do a LV run and transform back up to 120V. But that kind of kills the idea to have an outlet there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

If it's for a yard lantern why NOT LV (or a transformer on both ends)?

...Jim Thompson

along.

That's because the conduit you're calling "wimpy metal pipe" is probably EMT, not rigid metallic conduit....

Reply to
Rick

along.

And EMT isn't rated for underground. True rigid is about the same size as ½" plumbing pipe.

...Jim Thompson

The only answer that means anything is the one from the "Authiority Having Jurisdiction" and you should call him with your question, but you should also consider/discuss direct burial cable, which you can more easily route around those boulders to achieve required depth.

EMT has never been legal for burial, rigid usually holds up fairly well if properly installed (sealed and protected from corrosion), but I usually spec/use schedule 80 PVC conduit for burial since it is cheaper and more corrosion resistant than rigid, and stronger than sch

  1. Not strong enough to resist attack by a shovel however; that requires rigid.

There are trenchers that will slice right through granite bedrock, just not the cheesy chain saw type they rent to homeowners. You could consider hiring a contractor to put in the trench.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

If you think the U.S. is bad:

Where my mother has a cottage in New Zealand, for buried 12V cable you're supposed to have little flags every now and again marking the cable's run.

She didn't bother with such silliness.

Additionally, there's a pair of 4x4's (or whatever the closest metric equivalent is) connecting the roof of the cottage to a much smaller (

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

How long is the cable run? if it isn't more than say 20 - 30M why not use extra heavy gauge twin cable and just run a LV lamp - only one LV transformer needed then. Of course that will depend exactly on what amount of illumionation you want and the availability of a suitable lamp.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

PVC can be bent easily with a heat gun to let you follow the path of least resistance around the rocks. Electrical contractors have to do this when embedding conduit in concrete sometimes. The alternative is blasting caps and a lot of hard to get permits. :(

BTW, power poles around Cincinnati often had to be set with explosives.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Bury the PVC as deep as you can, then put enough topsoil above it to meet code.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Two inches of concrete cover relaxes the depth requirement by six inches. (At least in my 25 year old code book.)

Reply to
Wes Stewart

If it's about a yard lantern, fit a 12V car bulb inside and use a transormer in the house. Thus the cable will be low voltage and exempt of any rules.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

?! Thats news to me. Of course I am fairly ignorant....but AIUI SELV requires no permits, nothing.

Where in NZ does your mum have her cottage Joel?

oops, better translate into Merkin: "...mom..."

100 x 100

Yeah, begging forgiveness seems to be the correct approach.

I've had enough shoddy work done by sparkies (AKA electricians) that I just do it all myself, but properly. Technically I'm not allowed to install fixed wiring for money, or to play in the back of switchboards, but my ESTB allows me to do everything else. That, of course, doesnt stop me from diving into my switchboard whenever a need arises.

I though about getting full electrical certification, but I have to do

2,000 hours of cable-jerking, which just aint gonna happen. Funny thing is, its OK if the cable is CAT5. Go figure.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given