Code: Underground cables in yard

LOL. I've built a couple of raised gardens so that decks dont have to have handrails (if > 1m above ground).

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Still true. That is for everything but the rigid which stays at 6". You can put your 120v GFCI 15/20a residential cable or PVC down 6" under 2" of concrete too.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd put a GFI on the power feed, then bury PVC pipe for the 110 wiring. Legal, no: safe, yes.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

My bad luck, I put an antenna tripod in the back yard, the first hole I dug I hit and broke the pvc and cut the wire running to a shed. The whole back yard and I found the conduit. On another project, I did the same thing to the conduit to a second shed.

My good luck, I had a slow sewer line, I finally decided I'd have to break out a section of the sewer line and run a roto rooter to clean it, then repair the sewer line (a big job). After poking a 1/4" rod in the ground many dozens of times I figured out where the line was. I dug down about a foot and dogone if I didn't dig right where there was a clean out, I opened the cap and did the job. Finding that clean out made my whole day!

Mike

Reply to
amdx

Around here they run a robot down the sewer line radiating RF to the surface to locate pipes, clean-outs, etc.

Part of the condition of sale of my old house was a cleaned-out septic tank... they found the cover in about 5 minutes.

...Jim Thompson

In most localities you need a permit for anything outside of painting and beautifying. ANY elctrical work that isn't low voltage certainly does.

--
Aaron
Reply to

Meindert Sprang wrote:> If it's about a yard lantern, fit a 12V car bulb inside and use a transormer

The codes cover everything, mainly because an inept person can start a fire with just about anything.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

And then there are HOA's (Home Owners Associations), who can dictate painting and yard planting :-(

...Jim Thompson

The cottage (aka bach) is out near Arthur's Pass; it's along a road with a bunch of bachs that goes up to one of the trails for Bealey Spur in Arthur's Pass National Park (as well as providing access to an antenna site). There's no "grid" power, so there's a mix of cottages with no power, solar power, and a few gasoline or diesel generators.

She was told the bit about flagging by guy who runs Thermocell in Christchurch

-- he has a bach out there too, and did many of the PV installations over the years.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Hello Jim,

Not here. I wouldn't put up with that, it was one of the things we told the realtor for our house hunt that we certainly would not want. Same for a left-wing school bond that slaps huge extra taxes on some areas, we told her to steer clear of those as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Jim,

It is an option that I thought about but don't like. For any serious lighting you need 50-100W even with energy saver fluorescent flood lights. Then I'd have to make a weatherproof box next to the lantern and I don't wnat any more projects right now ;-)

Of course, as an analog guy I could make a nice little electronic inverter that fits into the lamp base. Some day, maybe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Rick,

Yes. And that's what I had seen, installed by pros. In our case the strong gas pipe type of stuff won't work because I need a dozen little bends to follow the bedrock. Plus it'll eventually rust out as well, just takes more years.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Ross,

About 15m maybe. But it should be some serious flood lighting, in multiple directions. I don't really like LV but might have to. It just would be so nice to be able to occasionally plug in the electric chain saw and that thing needs a good kilowatt.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Richard,

Excellent idea! Don't know if a berm would look good next to the rocky pathway though.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Glen,

Underground feeder cable (UF) is an option but that stuff is scary. AFAIK you aren't supposed to run it through any kind of conduit and that guarantees a nice "bzzzt" episode should someone ever hit it. In other countries you were allowed to run stuff shallower to the ground but place color concrete or bricks over it so people would feel there is something "in the way here". Made much more sense.

Schedule 80 is really good and won't rust. I just don't understand why they don't allow a shallow application encased in, say, bright red cement. That would make it rather clear that something hot is inside.

Well, you can't get there with any serious equipment and I didn't want to make a huge project out of it. Maybe I'll just do LV.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Two thousand hours? Isn't that like a year? And how the hell can you get

2000 hours of experience at cable pulling - more like 2 hrs experience 1000 times in a row, I'd think. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rigid metallic conduit IS bendable. Just go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a bender, they're cheap.

...Jim Thompson

You should be able to buy energy saver fluorescents that run on 12VDC.

...Jim Thompson

Cover the JVC with split cinder block pieces to keep you from accidentally hitting it with a shovel.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Wes,

It seems code still does:

Can't get 6" in some places but maybe it's ok if 6" of conrete are piled on top.