clockwork timer switch

My friend has a motorcycle with 6V electrics. He wants me to make him something that will automatically cancel his turn indicators after a pre-set interval perhaps 30 seconds or so. This is quite straightforward to do with something like a 555 timer of a CMOS one shot. However, he did mention that in the past he had seen something like this done with a clockwork switch where operating the switch wound the clockwork which then opened the switch when it ran down . Can't seem to find anything like this on the net.

Can anyone help??

Cheers

iaIan

Reply to
Ian Bell

A common feature on cars, I call the "old fogey left his turn signals on alert" :-). Typically what it does is sound a chime if the turn signals have been on longer than 30 seconds or so. I don't know of any that actually command the turn signals off.

I do know that for car headlamps, there are rules in the US about when automatic systems are and are not allowed to override a manual activation. Don't know if same rules apply to signal lamps.

I can understand why a chime on a motorcycle may not be paid as much attention to as the chime in a Oldsmobile Cutlass :-).

There were mechanical-movement octal-based time delay relays but I haven't seen them in the catalogs for a while. They were circa $200 last time I saw them. The modern electronic equivalent settable delay relays are like the Omron H3YN and are circa $50. But they are typically 24VDC or 48VDC or 120VAC and probably wouldn't be used in a motorcycle electrical system.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

That's called a wife (*) My high frequency hearing is limited so I don't always hear the very low level 'click' in the Q45 if a shallow turn doesn't flip the lever back ;-)

[snip]

(*) 49th Anniversary today ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Yes, I found modern one shot relays but so far no 6V ones.

It is looking increasingly like the 555 route is all that's feasible these days.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ian, somewhere in the back of my mind this already exists for motorcycles. If I remember where I saw it, I'll post, but you may want to search a bit more. I think the system was a momentary switch, which flashed the turn signal for a specified number of flashes, but it might have been time related.

Reply to
PeterD

Is there an after-market device that does that?

I hate to be seen behaving like an "old fogey" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You could be right. My friend is pretty old - in his 80s - and he remembers something like this but it could be from many many years ago.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Not that I have found. I have looked at many motorcycle spares sites.

Cheers

ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Congratulations ! :-) Best Wishes to you both. I'm 10years 5months behind you.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Google baby...

Result...

Martin Riddle

No "old fogey" version for cars ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

"What would happen to [Obama\'s] vanity if he didn?t have us to
throw alms to? What would become of his strength if he didn?t have
weaker people to dominate? What would he do with himself if he
didn?t keep us around as dependents? It?s quite alright, really,
I?m not criticizing him, it?s just a law of human nature."

                       -Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged"

This is the closest auto stuff I've found so far...

Apparently some modules use a gyro to sense a turn has been made.

Martin Riddle

The way to do it properly would be to use the already-there-and-functioning GPS map system... a turn rotates the display (at least in my car).

...Jim Thompson

Usually all this stuff is for 12V. Very difficult to find any 6V gizmos these days. Other than at garage sales.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's the thing with Google - if you put in the 'right' search term you get what you are looking for - anything else just forget it.

Thanks for showing me the 'correct' search term .

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

That seems to be the only one in the world. Unfortunately it is in the USA (I am in the UK) and it fails to state what voltage it works on, not to mention it costs a100 bucks which by the time I've paid carriage, duty and VAT it will cost 100 GBP; other than that, thanks for the link.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

When you click on the links it does. Looks like the usual 12V. Anyhow, with a 6V vehicle, whether motorcycle or car, you are pretty much on your own these days. BTDT, I had a 6V Citroen 2CV as a student. The batteries became so freaking expensive that I drove without one for quite a while.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I once saw a motorcycle that had a sonalert that just beeped along with the signal light; that sounds to me to be both safer and more dependable

- the driver _is supposed to be_ paying attention anyway, right?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I bet somebody's going to say "Use a PIC!" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise