Climate Change Will Chase 100 Million Refugees Into Europe

As I recall, the gap is very long, and the spark propagates along the gap. The laser beam is parallel to and within the gap, where the abruptly ionized nitrogen may be found.

A friend and I discussed building this gadget, but never did.

Now that I think about it, the dielectric might have been glass, versus G10.

Joe Gwinn

PS: As for Vannevar Bush and John Early Jackson improving the Shortt Clock, the article was in the 1 July 1960 issue of Scientific American. It cost only $8 to buy a downloadable copy of the whole issue, so I went for it. I recall reading this when it first came out, but didn't completely understand it then. JMG

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Right. Try drawing it--if you fantasize that the incoming 2D pulse has a st raight-line front edge (rather than roughly cylindrical), you can velocity- match to c regardless of the propagation velocity in the G10.

In N2, the coefficients of the rate equations force lasing to occur in nano second pulses anyway, so I'm not sure that the travelling-wave thing buys y ou that much, but it's certainly possible.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

In order of personal preference and recommendation: $25/year for 12 issues. $20/year for 12 issues. $12 for 11 issues. $12 for 12 issues

There are also a fair number of science magazines for kids: I haven't looked at any and can't offer any recommendations.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

When I saw it demonstrated it was plastic sheet (polycarbonate?) and al-foil sheet instead of plating, and Al estrustions placed on top for the laser channel.

search "TEA laser" for several examples.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

OK I'm going to have to look up the Vannevar Bush and give it to a colleague, (he probably already has it).

I remember the N2 laser in article.

I miss the "real" science articles, often written by masters in the field. With lots of good pictures and graphs. (which helps me a lot.)

Today we have more people writing more than ever, with quality diluted somehow. The wrong feedback perhaps.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'd like to add my own favorite:

$30/yr for 6 issues

The articles span a wide range of scientific subjects, they're often accompanied by high-quality color images, I generally learn something even from the articles I don't completely follow, and I always enjoy Henry Petroski's column on Engineering.

Frank McKenney

--
  Staring at the ocean and waiting for a flash of insight is how ideas
  are generated in the movies.  In the real world, they rarely come

                    -- Nate Silver / The Signal and the Noise
Reply to
Frnak McKenney

The entire Amateur Scientist set is on CD-ROM, every bit as outstanding as the original dead-tree version.

A less comprehensive compilation was also published as a book, a copy of which I gave to one of our mutual pals. It was also very good. 1960, by C.L. Stong.

Yep. It's tedious when every gigabit technique article starts off with a two-paragraph intro on how important gigabit stuff is. Or when the "Build this paper-to-gold converter" article starts off with 400 words on the histories of paper and gold.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

ere at

The original used PCB material. Had some detail on driving an ignition coi l to produce the high voltage, too.

There was a discussion on positioning the spark-gap traveling-wave initiato r, but I don't remember the particulars.

I was taking some classes at the high school not offered at my grade level, and, guiltily imagining a UV-laser death-ray, made a copy of the article from the high school's library. I still have it.

Nowadays you couldn't have such a thing--high voltage, laser, UV--in a high school library. Too scarrrrry.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Thanks. Someone else mentioned American Scientist, which I get and like, but I'm not sure that my nephew is old enough yet, at 15.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

American Scientist is the journal for Sigma Xi and probably over his head.

At 15, kids are naturally curious about literally everything. That was obvious when I did a recycling run and invited the neighbors bored

14 year old along for his first tour of the local recycler: We started by unloading my accumulated collection of magazines into the appropriate dumpster. He poked his head into the dumpster, and immediately demanded that I fish out a strange and eclectic assortment of magazines that others had deposited[1]. Dumpster diving was against the rules, but we did it anyway. There may have been some science among those magazines, but I don't recall. He's now about 21, in college studying law (oh well), and I think the magazines may have done him some good. [1] I guess I should mention that I was the first to fish out a magazine for myself. I keep a long reach gripper tool in the car for the purpose. Much of my early education was digging for parts and documents in that trash from Henry Radio, local TV repair shops, Bell System dumpsters, and junk yards.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I did much the same, but didn't have access to Bell System dumpsters.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

The Bell System was pretty serious about recycling copper. We had to go inside the substations to steal cables.

I think this was about 1966-1970. The Bell System dumpsters were a gold mine of goodies. The Century City CO was near my parents house, which offered one of the first 5ESS frames in the US. They used it for training, so the dumpster was full of training material and BSP's (Bell System Practices). I still have much of those in boxes. Near one of the colleges that I attended, was yet another training frame. Various methods were used to gain entry, all illegal and some dangerous. Mostly, we cut off the padlocks and made a key. It was worth it.

Among the papers was teletype printouts that were used as part of the ordering system. If I could gain access to the system, I could literally order just about anything delivered to any Bell System asset number. That included delivering instruments to roadside pedestals in the middle of nowhere, which worked quite nicely. For security, Ma Bell used different modem tones. Passwords? Whazzat? Things eventually got out of hand and some of the early hackers were caught. I saw what was happening and bailed out early.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Actually, it's way shorter:

climate change->drought->famine->exodus

Reply to
Aleksandar Kuktin

way way shorter: wars->exodus

joe

Reply to
joe hey

genocide->exodus

Reply to
krw

elect Obama --+--> abandon Iraq ---> ISIS ----->-. | \ +--> Russian 'reset' --> Ukraine ->--o | \ +--> Destabilize Syria ---> ISIS -->--o---> refugees | / +---> open U.S. borders + DACA -->---o | / '--> attack Libya --> chaos --->---'

If Obama'd encouraged Iran's 2009 Green Revolution we might have had a peaceful, democratic Iran too, instead of a locked-in theocratic despotism brimming with money, intercontinental missiles, and nukes.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Famine's driving refugees to Hungary? Counterproductive. Perhaps they should try Turkey instead.

But methinks it's anthropogenic global warring--not famine--to blame.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The last time there was a peaceful, democratic Iran was in 1953, under Mossadegh.

The then US administration engineered a coup which saw him replaced by a military dictator

'%C3%A9tat

James Arthur is a Republican - or at least an anti-democrat - and therefore enthusiastic about blaming a Democratic president for a situation engineered by a Republican president.

For someone who gets excited about Bastiat and the founding tax evaders, James Arthur is oddly ill-informed about more recent history.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Oh, let me rephrase that: