100 Million Tons of Li

Can Li be cheaply extracted from sea water?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Not likely, but if you do try it:

  1. You'd make more profit selling bottled water and sea salt as byproducts

  1. Aim for operations close to a hydrothermal vent, to get up to 7 ppm lithium.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Why Li? The EV1 used to have a range up to 100 miles on lead acid batteries and 150 miles on NiCads. So why can't the Volt do better than

40 miles????????? Because it rigged not to work.
Reply to
Claude Hopper

Not cheaply. Popular Science-type scientists used to claim uranium could be extracted from seawater, too.

Reply to
Maximust

He needs it for his meds?

Reply to
IanM

He said 'Millions', not 'Trillions'!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So we're stuck with lead acid batteries?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

You can wait for the NiMH patents to expire... or hey, invent your own batteries. Magnesium ion, maybe? Plenty of magnesium in seawater. Even better yet... sodium ion!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The idiots have always been, and will always be stuck with lead acid batteries. Which is of course why the people with Engineering-Technology Economic Future brains are still working on Adaptive Pv Cell Arrays. RISC++ ,Parallel Processors, USB, XML, CD+rw, DVD-rom DVD-ram, Post AT&T Fiber Optics, GPS, AAVs, AUVs, Digital Terrain Mapping, Drones, Post McDonald's Holograms, Optical Computers, laser-guided lasers, Microwave Ovens, Epublishing. On-Line Publishing, Neo Wind Energy, Biodiesel, Post Ford Batteries, and Post GM Robotics.

Reply to
zzbunker

NO

Reply to
Eeyore

You've utterly missed the point of the Volt (and the Opel Flextreme and hybrids in general). 40 miles is a sensible commuting distance. It doesn't NEED to do more on battery power, so why make it more expensive (higher battery replacement costs) and heavy (batteries are very heavy for their energy density) for range you only use on long journeys when the ICE can take over ?

The EV1 only sat TWO PEOPLE btw. Not exactly a practical car. It was also economically totally unviable. The Volt is a compact but full-size car in comparison. We don't know the cost yet but it WILL be lower in real terms than the EV1.

"The Gen 1 cars got 55 to 75 miles (90 to 120 km) per charge with the Delco-manufactured lead-acid batteries" btw.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Easier to dig the ore out of the ground FFS.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It seems we're stuck with you and your MORONIC dead-end loser ideas.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Have you seen the temperatures those sodium-sulphur batteries operate at ? Don't let them get cold or the car won't go in the morning.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

No it's not. I used to commute 50 miles one way. That leaves me a little short. If the Tesla can go 250 miles and the EV1 could go 100 on lead acid, like I said, what's wrong with GM? You know they are anti-electric. People who had EV1's loves them so they got taken away and crushed. Had they gone into production they would have improved substantially. The Volt will be prices at 40K+. You also know that GM COULD copy Tesla's hand made car at 98K and mass produce them for 40K. I think Exxon/Mobil's dick is too far up GM's butt.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

No it's not. I used to commute 50 miles one way. That leaves me a little short. If the Tesla can go 250 miles and the EV1 could go 100 on lead acid, like I said, what's wrong with GM? You know they are anti-electric. People who had EV1's loves them so they got taken away and crushed. Had they gone into production they would have improved substantially. The Volt will be prices at 40K+. You also know that GM COULD copy Tesla's hand made car at 98K and mass produce them for 40K. I think Exxon/Mobil's dick is too far up GM's butt.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

No it doesn't. The ICE kicks in for last 10 miles. That's the *whole point* !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Quite possibly, although I'm doubtful about the battery costs. But it's still a

2 seater. Besides GM can't buy ANYTHING right now least of all the rights to a car they might not exist to manufacture.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And most of it is up hill! ;-)

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Both directions.

--