Circuits that shouldn't work...?

You mean you actually get... EWB to like.. work at all... wow...

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Thye do work but you need to supply an impulse to get them going.

Tam

Reply to
Cor blimey mate

I've never needed to use an 'external stimulus' to start an oscillator in LTSpice. It always delivers the goods.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d" - William Blake
Reply to

It appears to have some kind of noise stimulus built in. Some other spice variants (notably, Circuit Maker) seem not to do this, and end up with circuits balanced on the head of a pin, so to speak.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it
is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so
positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by
science."
 -- Charles Darwin
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Yes, that is what I meant. An unstable equilibrium. Thanks for the clarification.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would
have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of
their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars"
 -- Charles Darwin
Reply to
Bob Monsen

If you want a circuit that should not work, how about an emitter follower with a voltage gain of almost two...

Reply to
Robert Baer

You mean the "point" of the pin...

Reply to
Robert Baer

What makes you think there is any correllation whatsoever with simulations and real world performance?

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Simulations are valuable, provided you already understand the circuit well enough that you don't really need to simulate it.

John

And already know where the critical node is that needs the ".IC=0V" :)

Reply to
john jardine

Err... 1000s of 1,000 transistor ic designs that work first time, and are made in millions per month. Modern ic design wold be quite impossible without simulation.

This *is* the reality mate. Sure, simulations *can* fail if you don't model correctly, however, they also demonstrable work as a matter of routine.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

So does LTSpice use a different or improved engine, but works with ordinary Spice models?

All I ever use is the good old original free Spice on Unix, and I always thought that the derivatives (like PSpice) used the identical engine with some added GUI sugar.

Clarification welcome.

robert.

Reply to
Robert Latest

Hello Robert, LTspice is originally based on SPICE3F4, but then it has been practically fully recoded by Mike to make it better and also to overcome the bugs in the original code. It has also many new intrinsic models required for fast simulations of SMPS regulators.

LTspice is 99% compatible to PSPICE syntax for the analog elements of SPICE. You can practically use any 3rd party opamp model in LTspice. It's just a very few mouse clicks and a ".include modelfile" SPICE-line.

Digital components are of course very different, because there is no accepted SPICE-standard for digital elements. Every SPICE-vendor "cooks its own soup" for it. LTspice has the A-elements which are very powerful models for digital and mixed-signal components.

See my comments above. Linux users can run LTspice under Wine.

LTspice is already replacing PSPICE in education, because LTspice is fast, very stable, unlimited and freely available. What can we wish more?

There is a very strong user group for questions regarding LTspice.

It has a big file's section with many circuit examples.

Best regards, Helmut Moderator of the LTspice Yahoo group

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

There are several classes of circuits that often do not model well in Spice, various (often simple like Hartley or Colpitts or three logic inverters and a crystal) oscillators is a typical example. What irritates me is that LTSpice badly fouls up on simple "brute force" power supplies. No other Spice that i have used fouls up in this way.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

Well? It's "faster" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It seems to work just fine here. Where exactly does it foul up?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

What are "good results" for that (useless?) circuit?

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

In article , JosephKK wrote: [...]

Fouls up how?

I've modeled:

---->!---- ! ! (V) --- 0.1F ! --- GND ! GND

With no problem.

I've also modeled:

K1 ------ -------------+-----------+--------- ) ( L2 ! ! ) ( ! --- C1 ) ( ! --- L1 ) +-- GND ! ! ------ ( ! GND ( ! ( ! -------->!---

Where (IIRC):

L1 = 100mH + 2R L2 = 1mH + 0.1R K1 = 0.95 C1 = 1000uF + 0.01R

... and got good results.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

try a standard full bridge from 120 60 Hz into a 5000 uF cap and 240 ohms load.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

Looks quite reasonable to me. What *is* your problem? Give us something to sink our teeth into. Vague statements that something doesn't work aren't productive.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman