So that is how Kelvin probes work!

Ok, so I have a good LCR meter and preform proper measurement technics but get noisy readings even with Kelvin clamps. I bid and won a set of Kelvin probes with four BNC connectors on EBAY for 99C and $13 shipping from China. I then took a double sided PCB of about 1.00" square using my Dremel cut some proper slots on the board then soldered the Kelvin clips directly to the PCB at all four joints. The UUT is also soldered to the board. Cables to and fro were also tied down. After a 30 minute warm-up and OC and SC zeroing the unit is rock solid. So nice to see 00.00mR and 0.00001uH at

150KHz.

Cheers,

Harry

Reply to
Harry D

Yes, Kelvin leads makes it so nice to read down into the mOhms.

One pair that supplies the reference to the specimen and the other leads to measure directly from the specimen, there by eliminating test lead effects.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

That Kelvin dude is so smart, I think the queen should make him a Baron.

Reply to
miso

As you well know, she did. :)

Some Kelvin statements "the airplane will never work." "the sun is only 20 million years old, and will die out soon." "We only have 400 years of oxygen left on earth." "Darwin is wrong, since the earth is young."

Widely attributed to him: "Physics is complete; new discoveries are over."

To the above, we can add a comment about Babe Ruth: "Babe Ruth was the home run champion, but also the strike out champion."

It's actually a serious philosophy of science - stick your neck out often rule.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Sad how the Chinese ones are so much better than the expensive SRS ones.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany