corn

We roast corn in the husk. Snip the loose stuff off the end with scissors and pull off any really loose leaves. Rinse. Bake at 450F for 40 minutes. Let it cool a few minutes and pull back the husks to make a handle. Rub with butter, salt, pepper.

"Housewives who boil corn should be boiled."

- Nero Wolfe, who really didn't like women anyhow.

Precision electronic instrumentation

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm sure its nowhere near as good as your slow rosted corn, but you can also microwave corn and it will be better than boiled. Peel back the husk just enough to pull out as much as you can get of the tassles, soak well in cold water and put the husk back in place and secure with a rubber band. Microwave on full power typically for 3 to 5 mins, but it depends on your microwave and the number, size and ripeness of the cobs. Make sure that the cobs have at least a finger gap between them and none are dead center on the turntable. Turn halfway through cooking.

Serve as John suggests or however you prefer.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL

Hmm, Local corn season is just getting into full swing. (I'll have a piece or two every night, purchased from a local stand.)

3-5 minutes in boiling water. Just perfect IMHO. (But I'll eat it raw too.) George H.
Reply to
George Herold

Microwaving in the husk is good too, but roasting adds a nice scorching effect.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Try roasting in the husk. Boiling leaches out some of the sugar and flavor.

Precision electronic instrumentation

ors and

Let it

butter,

r. OK I'm a bit of a corn snob. (Some of the local stands leave the corn out for days.. the place I buy from has new corn every day (hour.) I'll someti mes drive by and there will be no corn out...But then I see the farmer comi ng down the road in his gator with a fresh bushel on the back. That's the best! It then gets boiled for a very short time, tastes great. (As Garris on Keillor says, "We first get the water boiling and then go pick the corn. )

I've had the roasted stuff, it's fine. But it's hard to judge the time. A IUI, it's the heat that turns sugar into starch, so roasting can over cook.

(Darn I'm getting hungry!)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

on the grill in the husk is good

or on the grill husked and wrapped in al foil works also

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Yup! That's how we do ours. Sometimes sans foil, sometimes with foil. Along with tri-tip, brats and potatoes. All from the Weber barbie. Takes less than 30 minutes and other than turning stuff around once in a while is hardly any effort. When visitors are over we stand around the barbecue talking politics, football, mountain bikes or cars, beer in hand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's what I do when I'm at the boat, although instead of soaking I have large diameter faucet, I open the ear slightly and stick up into the faucet outlet and let it pump some water in. Then microwave. My wife always over cooks corn, even though I have cooked it, buttered it, seasoned it, and tested it, then give her a perfect cob of corn so she knows how good it can be. She just doesn't get it. She will even eat cold corn on the cob. But, I'm not going to boil her! She has other wonderful qualities. Mikek Mikek

amdx

We have a bbq out on the deck, but, this time of year, a boy can freeze to death out there tending the grille.

Precision electronic instrumentation

My wife has a tall pan with a small diameter, holds about 4 ears of corn.

Bring pan full of water to boil.

Remove from heat.

Add corn ears.

Thus corn is not exposed to boiling water.

I don't know how long she lets it stand, but it comes out great.

BTW, Less than a mile from here is probably a few hundred acres of corn that they're just now harvesting. ...Jim Thompson

Where I come from we bring the pot out to the field and just bend the plant over so the ear is in the boiling water. :-) Mikek

amdx

People have bred corn that keeps its sugar content much longer than it used to.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Yup. Corn with the time of day marked on the bin, not the date.

The husks seem to give it a bit of a 'green' flavor that I don't care for. There used to be vendors in Chinatown that did corn on a BBQ with hot pepper flakes and mayo. Not sure if they're still around.

Best regards,

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Spoil sport! :-) Mikek

amdx

Well, us city folk like sweet corn, too. Even at the farmers' market, it's some hours old.

The sugar decay time constant seems to be in the 1-2 day sort of range lately. Used to be that 2-day old corn was a pasty mess, but now it's not so bad.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The kid husks it, adds butter, salt, and whatever, then wraps it in Seran wrap before microwaving.

Reply to
krw

There's something vaguely Steven-King-esque about that image.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany