Cheap Ghz SMD resistors

Yeah, and move to AZ, like Nomad. ;-)

Reply to
krw

If I had to "spread out" from my home and own or rent some commercial or industrial property to work from at least nominally,

I would get into a good mood for Mississauga, Ontario, or someplace nearby to the north (maybe Brampton) or to the west.

Mississauga appears to me to be the most industrial city in North America north of the Rio Grande. I suspect its massive industry content and its great population growth rate say good news about tax structure.

It appears to me that Mississauga has gigatonnage-plus of "industrial parks", and I suspect that there are places in Mississauga to rent at a cheap rate a hidey-hole where nobody has any problems with operating wave soldering machines, arc welders, and adventurous prototypes.

Toronto appears to me to have tax structure worse than Mississauga, but I know a recently-retired Toronto police detective who built up a little business for himself manufacturing specialty lighting products and things good to make with a "garage" machine shop - and his away-from-home office is in Toronto rather than Mississauga.

For those who live where a commute to Canada is doable even if only a day or two per week, I would advise looking into putting the workplace (or at least the nominal one) north of the border.

Don Klipstein

They might try, once :-)

If they'd discriminate against a freelance electronics guy but not against a mom that does some typing work or medical coding from home, or a freelance journalist, that would end up in a huge jury award for the electronics guy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You don't know NewYawk politicians and other like busy bodies.

Freelance electronics types aren't a protected class; discrimination is perfectly legal. ;-)/2

Seriously, just because one person does something illegal doesn't give license to another. No award at all.

Reply to
krw

Just the AGs there are enough reason for me not to live there. Killing off Usenet. Preaching ethics or whatever and then get caught in a prostitution scandal, and so forth. That's not the kind of "values" I'd like to stand for.

That's what a local board here thought as well. Until they opened the newspaper a week later ...

Boy did they become friendly. Media in our country are pretty powerful compared to other places of the world.

Working from home ain't illegal. Running a biz with lots of client traffic might be, in some places (they've eased the rules here and allow up to one employee in a few areas now).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You're nuts. Canada makes New York look like Arizona. (OK, Arizona but a bit more crooked.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Here in my town, they have special business license paperwork for home based businesses. They hit you with an extra $200 charge the first year, but after that, it is just the standard business license fee.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

My wife grew up in Briarcliff Manor, back when you could easily catch

3 foot Muskie in the St. Lawrence River (before construction of the seaway). We drove through a few years ago and found her old house. It still seems to be a fairly nice neighborhood if you want or need to be near NYC, but we much prefer Pennsylvania where we are 1 hour from Philadelphia, 2 hours from NYC and pay ~$3000/year RE tax on a 5 bedroom house with 2000 sq.ft. barn/workshop on 2 acres. Very business friendly, no problem with home business run from your house or a second building on the same property, with or without reasonable customer traffic. They understand where their taxes come from and do nothing to discourage small businesses (Montgomery County, Upper Providence Township).

Glen

Reply to
Glen Walpert

[snip]

I think AZ Nomad is a hoax. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

Similar here. Your key word was "they understand where their taxes come from". And also, that they can quickly go away if they want to play hardball.

I hadn't thought that was possible anymore back east ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I want to build a barn next to the cabin in Truckee, a small electronics lab and garage and toy storage. If I buy the lot next door, I can only build a house on it. But if I then go down to city hall and legally consolidate into one lot, I *can't* build another "residence" (namely, no kitchen) but I can build a barn. Of course, we'd have to pay two HOA fees forever, either way.

The fire danger is serious up there, so the organization concentrates on that and has little energy to worry about much else.

John

A friend of mine did that in Crestline years ago. He bought the lot next door (mainly because it had a rehabable well on it!) and then built a 'garage' so that he had a road level accessible parking place. Of course, to get it 'road level' he had to raise the entire structure up four feet, so he had the structural guy design the foundations down the full ten feet. He also incorporated an area of the 'garage floor' where it would be easy to put in a stairwell.

When he was finished, it would only take a few hours time with a mini-cat and pour a slab in the existing foundation to make it a complete house with over 2000 sq. ft. of living space!

Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with stage 4 prostrate, so he never made the conversion... :-(

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Yeah, there are lots of upstate places I could go, maybe an hour from here, which are quite different. I bought this place in 1990, in order to have a 10-minute commute. Now my commute is even shorter. ;)

I just really hate moving.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

[...]

Why not a house? After all, a decent lab must have a full size fridge full of beer (but only the good stuff). Plus a freezer section with pizzas in case of a late night project. Plus at least a four-burner stove to cook a decent meal. And a coffee maker. And an espresso pot. And ...

Come to think of it, a house and the ideal lab aren't all that different.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If it has a kitchen, it's "a house." We already have a house. I want a barn. But I can't see how a few beers in a fridge under a workbench could be called a "kitchen" so everything should be OK.

The EMI situation should be pretty good. There's a cell cite on Alder Hill nearby, but it's trivial compared to the 22 megawatts raining down on us from Sutro Tower. I could get an antenna and do EMI tests up there.

John

Yep. To sell into Canuckistan we have to have our widget listed. The testing and appropriate listings are all done, but have to pay them a bribe to get the paperwork filed in order to sell.

Reply to
krw

=20

=20

You'd=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

self-employed=20

boot.

With an HOA like that, i would get my Ham radio licence, and stick an obvious dish about 40 feet in the air with appropriate positioners for moon bounce work. When the blue noses come stinking up the place have the FCC come in and smash them. Might teach them something about the potential problems of being piss-ants. But you have to be willing to fight the fight all the way through.

Reply to
JosephKK

what=20

boot.

Yeow. Maybe we should call ACORN, APORN

Reply to
JosephKK

... except that the FCC won't come in and smash them over a ham tower or antenna.

The FCC has ruled (repeatedly) that they have no jurisdiction to override HOA CC&Rs (which are in effect private contracts) over issues of ham radio antennas. Congress never gave them the right to do so.

Rather, the OP might want to install several satellite-TV dishes, and an over-the-air television antenna on a mast no more than 12' above the roofline. If the HOA gets snippy about *that*, then the FCC can (and perhaps will) get into the act. Congress passed a law which specifically allows sat-TV dishes and OTA antennas, and which *does* override local zoning laws and HOA rules (under some conditions).

Hams have been trying for years to persuade the FCC to extend this override (known as the "OTARD regulations") to cover ham antennas. The FCC has refused, telling hams that Congress will have to enact a law which specifically extends OTARD to cover ham antennas (or pass another law which has the same effect).

Dave Platt

I don't have a HOA--it's the village bylaws that are Communist. That's where the cops come in.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs