marking schemes for SMD resistors

The conventional marking scheme for SMD 5% resistors is two digits plus an exponent of 10, e.g., 120 would be 12 ohms, and 122 would be 1.2k, etc. But, do _any_ manufacturers use a direct method, so 120 means 120 ohms and say 1k2 = 1.2k?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Among 0805's I've got on hand in the 1 to 10 ohm range, x.x seems to be a little more common than xRx, but both occur repeatedly. Eg, 1.1, 2R7, 3.3, etc. Besides those, I haven't seen any 5% SMD resistors or data sheets with direct values.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

For resistors under 10 ohms, yes. Nothing above that?

I ask because I've been analyzing my technician's washing- machine VFD motor-control circuit board. This has an 0805 resistor labeled 120, which must be near 120 ohms, because if it was 12 ohms the circuit not only wouldn't work, it'd go up in smoke. Actually, it did go up in smoke, burning out the "120" resistor (and many other components), so I can't measure it. The circuit board has mostly US-made or familiar parts, but also a few foreign-looking parts. The other 0805 resistors have conventional labeling, a 33-ohm part says 330. But this 120 fellow simply can't be 12 ohms!

Further complicating the issue is that this 120 resistor was thrown away when my technician replaced it, but both he and I clearly remember it said 120, I had even written it down. To my memory it looked just like the others. But hey, it really couldn't have been 12 ohms! :-

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Which brand? A universal motor, transmissionless drive?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs