Charge 2 x 6V on 12V Charger

I think it's Phil-ignorance ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Gold Star?
Reply to
John Fields

(...)

These folks put three car batteries in series to supply their portable welder with up to 350 A.

(...)

You could be passing up a real opportunity.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Like Ralph's 6.2 V power zeners, with temperature compensation as you say. I suspect a switchmode MOSFET solution would run cooler, be cheaper and run more reliably.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
Winston

I dunno. It was a B50T Victor Trial with a plastic after - market tank. No gold stars visible and certainly none earned.

:)

Starting procedure was a comedy skit. I owned the bike for 5 years.

It started once ( 1 time) (Total).

I wore out a kickstart quadrant over the years to obtain that one start.

Reply to
Winston

Which probably happened pretty often, thanks to the Prince of Darkness. ;)

Cheers

Phil "Former Triumph owner" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not full alternator current. Just enough to allow two slightly dissimilar cells in series to charge fully without cooking the better one.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Well, you said you were looking for a small project to see you over Christmas. Design it using an external pass element and jumper selectable voltage so that it can be used for a broad range of battery sizes.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

The diagrams that I've seen show a pass element directly across each battery.

Now, I suspect that is just technical shorthand for a linear device biased so that it dissipates stored current from the charged battery, allowing the uncharged battery to match it in a reasonable amount of time.

If Virg's Jag had a 30 A generator driving two 30 Ah 6 V batteries, it would be prudent practice to make sure the pass elements were beefy enough to handle that amount of current with plenty of headroom under the worst-case conditions, IMHO.

Luckily, Jag did a good enough job of matching SoC for both batteries that this balancing circuit was apparently not needed.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I recently found out what happened to my 1960 Jaguar:

"More recently, a more advanced Pertronix ignition system has been installed, and the twin 6V batteries have replaced with top of the line Optima units...."

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

Nice. It's two weeks younger than I am, and I wish I looked that good. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

(...)

Wow! Nice looking car, Virg!

and the twin 6V batteries have replaced

One assumes the batteries they replaced were not >34-year-old factory parts! :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston